Table of Contents
Among set of facing materials for external walls of the building the brick tile takes the honourable leading position. It is explained by high operational rates of this material. The brick tile for facade not only gives to the building presentable look, but also protects its main walls from adverse effects of the environment. In detail it is possible to get acquainted with good alternative of brick veneer in this article.
What is represented by brick tile for facade
The brick tile is stoneware for which production slaty clay, gumboil and coloring pigment is used. All this weight gives in to unary roasting in the tunnel furnace 150 m long at temperature 1360ºС. The procedure lasts before full roasting of product. Such technology allows to receive the strong facing material which does not have in cavities and emptiness, having high resistance to external influence. At tile manufacture manufacturing techniques strictly adhere. In case of the slightest failure material is deformed that leads to violation of the linear sizes and decline in quality of finished product.
Helpful advice! When choosing brick tile it is necessary to give preference to the solid known manufacturers equipped with modern mechanisms and the equipment which have repeatedly confirmed high output quality.
Main advantages of material:
- long period of operation;
- thanks to low extent of moisture absorption, material is steady against frosts and sharp temperature drops;
- level of mechanical strength of tile matches on characteristics natural stone and porcelain tile;
- the small weight of product allows to use tile on different buildings, irrespective of base type;
- material has the increased resistance to corrosive medium;
- thanks to uneven surface of reverse side of product, the good adhesion with the basis is provided;
- the tile has evenly painted over structure;
- the tile belongs to environmentally friendly materials;
- the variety of textures and color of brick tile (photos clearly demonstrate it) allows to realize any design intention;
- convenient and simple mounting of product allows to perform works for short term without involvement of specialists;
- on tile surface practically does not settle dust that slows down development of lichens and mosses. She does not demand additional leaving.
Shortcomings of facing tile:
- the high cost of material, thanks to the fact that raw material inventories (slaty clay) for its production are limited;
- material quite brittle, at sharp mechanical influence can crack;
- on places of cut chips are often formed.
Scope of brick tile
Material is widely used for facing of the house. The brick tile, photo clearly demonstrate it, gives more esthetic exterior to the building and reliably protects it from external influences. The facing product can be used as finishing of the leveled surface for the purpose of creation of effect of brickwork, and can be initial material for production of brick panels and front thermopanels. It allows to expand range of application of facing material to warming of walls and performance of system of the ventilated facade from brick tile.
Clinker can be used for finishing of any buildings: concrete, stone, wooden, assembly and panel board and others.
The brick tile is widely used for construction of blind area and low tide, for facing of socle. Thanks to the high utilization properties clinker can be used for laying of floors on terraces and verandahs, garden paths. Possessing low extent of water absorption, the tile is ideal for facing of fountains, pools and other decorative artificial reservoirs. The brick tile is not afraid of high temperatures therefore it can be used for finishing of fireplaces and furnaces. Thanks to mechanical strength and chemical durability it is often used for facing of floor in automobile repair shops and garages.
Main properties and parameters of brick tile
Because the brick tile is imitation of brickwork, its sizes do not differ from brick dimensions. The main parameter is the product thickness which can be 5,7,12,13 and 17 mm. Products 5 and 7 mm thick are the most demanded.
Thickness of tile is selected proceeding from weather conditions of the region. The weather factors of the area are more aggressive and the city smog is higher, the more thickly there has to be brick tile for facing of the building.
Helpful advice! For finishing of facades of buildings which are located near water object it is necessary to choose thick tile.
The standard linear dimensions of brick tile correspond to dimensions of normal brick and 115×240 mm are equal.
Today producers release several different formats of product:
- L-NF – the longest tile with sizes of 295×71×15 mm. Facing of 1 m ² will require 40 pieces;
- WF – tile, average by the sizes, with dimensions of 215×65×15 mm (59 pieces on 1 m ²);
- WDF – the smallest tile of 21×5×1.7 mm in size. (73 pieces on 1 m ²).
The brick tile of the European format has the total length of 240 mm and thickness of 9-17 mm.
Depending on width of product happen:
- DF – width of tile is 52 mm (64 pieces on 1 m ²);
- 2DF – width of product is 113 mm (32 pieces on 1 m ²);
- NF – width of material is 71 mm (48 pieces on 1 m ²);
- RF – width of product is 65 mm, 54 pieces on 1 m ²).
Brick tiles of the American format have identical thickness of 15 mm. CS and MS modules have length of 193 mm, and US, JS and NS — 295 mm. Width of facing material can be 57, 71 and 92 mm. Depending on the tile sizes, the material consumption on 1 m ² makes 33-74 pieces.
Helpful advice! For internal or outside interfaces of walls it is better to choose T-joints which are capable to give to the building equal geometry and to hide the bricklayer mistakes.
Brick tile for facade of the house, photo it is clearly demonstrated, on decorative effect concedes to facing materials for internal rooms a little. Here glazed products and ornamental elements are not used.
However clinker has the different invoice:
- the smooth front brick tile under brick is the most demanded among other types of invoices. It is easily cleaned and does not demand additional leaving;
- the relief surface of material can resemble not only brick, but also copy exterior of wild, chipped, square stone, apparently on photo of finishing of facade brick tile of this look. Material demands additional leaving as the relief surface accumulates dust and dirt;
- the tile reminding the made old brick with imitation of chips, cracks and other temporary defects. Facing by brick tile is often used for restoration of ancient architectural buildings.
Recommendations about the choice of front brick tile
Before starting the choice of front brick tile, it is necessary to study its main characteristics.
First of all it is necessary to pay attention to product cost. It is explained by limited raw material inventory for production of tile and the considerable energy costs connected with product manufacturing techniques. Therefore it is not necessary to choose cheap material which will unambiguously have doubtful quality.
It is necessary to give preference to the foreign producers checked by time which already long time turn out high-quality products.
In spite of the fact that facing of facade brick tile with the difficult invoice will look more presentably, its service will involve additional costs, and mounting of such material will demand high qualification of the master.
Color of front brick tile has to be in harmony with overall view of the building. It belongs not only to design, but also to architectural features of the building. Therefore, will be not superfluous to consult to the designer or the architect here.
Along with purchase of facing material glue mix and finish for seams is bought. It is necessary to give preference to frost-resistant glue for brick tile which price depends on quality of mix.
Helpful advice! It is necessary to choose glue which is capable to sustain not less than 50 full cycles of freezing ‒ thawing. For example, Ceresit CM 117.
As this facing material quite brittle that can cause cracks as a result of mechanical loading, the finish for brick tile has to compensate surely all possible temperature expansions of product. The color of material for seams has to be in harmony with tile and it is favorable to emphasize beauty of facing.
The famous producers of brick tile for facade
Facing of facades of buildings is considered the most demanded range of application of clinker. The German companies are considered as the best producers of this material.
The world Feldhaus Klinker brand is engaged in production of clinker since 1857. Long-term experience, advanced technologies and technical knowledge allow to turn out quality products. The company guarantees durability, wear resistance and reliability of the released facing products of different formats, invoices and flowers. She offers unique series of the manual products realizing originality and identity of the made old brick. Photo of brick tile for facade visual to that confirmation.
The German company Stroeher makes more than 120 years brick tile by extrusion method. Thanks to such technology it is possible to make not only tile, but also plinths, angle units and borders. The company guarantees high quality, resistance to temperature differences and products trueness to size.
The family German business Roben specializes in production of brick tile, floor tile and tile. The innovation approach, the flexible price policy and special attention to needs of the consumer have made products of the company popular not only in Germany, but also beyond its limits.
The Russian company Keralite releases high-quality ceramic front tile including clinker. All products are made of natural materials on the modern equipment using the innovation technologies that allows to receive tile with high chemical, physical and strength rates.
The Polish company Cerrad which brick tile is known around the world has for the first time applied method of dry molding by production of brick products. It allows to receive the material similar to porcelain tile not only on exterior, but also on distinctive resistance to mechanical influences and superficial damages of finished product. The producer offers the lowest price of front brick tile.
Mounting of brick tile for facades
Finishing of facade brick tile is carried out after carrying out all preparatory work connected with alignment of walls and ensuring their solidity. All cracks, spallings, friable sites have to be liquidated by means of the reinforcing mixes. Walls under future facing have to be leveled by means of plaster and are impregnated with primer. The insignificant difference of level which should not exceed 2 mm on 1 sq.m. is allowed. The surface under laying of clinker has to be dry. Performance of work during bad weather is not allowed.
Helpful advice! If the wall is made of steel concrete, it is necessary to create it additional roughness that surfaces had high adhesion. For this purpose on wall it is possible to put number of notches by means of the bush-hammer, then three times to ground surface.
The following stage are marking works. For this purpose at the level of wall adjunction to socle lighthouse row is located. As the beacon the bottom edge of window opening or the upper edge of door will approach. The horizontal position of facing is checked by construction or water level. In the area of mark metal section which will play role of starting level is fixed. It will not allow the lower row to be displaced under own weight. Through each 2-3 rows by means of cord it should be noted horizontal lines. The vertical is controlled by means of plumbs.
Further it is necessary to prepare glue solution. Thin layer dry glue without impurity which is added to the necessary volume of water is for this purpose used. Dry mixes of Quick-Mix of FX 900, Ceresit CM 17, Feldhaus Spezial Klebe are suitable for outside works. It is better not to use cement and sand mix. However, if to give it preferences, then it is necessary to mix in proportion 4:1 or 3:1 sand and cement of M500 or M400 brand respectively.
Helpful advice! Clay is capable to keep the properties for 20-30 minutes. Therefore he should be prepared in the small portions at the rate of own labor productivity.
Now we start directly mounting of tile. It is necessary to begin laying from building corner, fixing angle unit in the beginning. For this purpose by means of the toothed palette we cover the basis with glue layer. Thickness of the applied mix is approximately equal to tile thickness. Each new fragment of facing is driven into the corner and condensed with mall. The excesses of glue structure which are squeezed out in intersutural space are removed. To provide identical gaps between tiles (10-14 mm), it is necessary to establish mounting crosses or round rod with a diameter of 6-8 mm. The horizontal position and vertical position need to be checked through each 2-3 rows.
Helpful advice! The tile can previously be wetted in water for several minutes. Such procedure will exclude pulling of moisture from glue substance.
There are two options of mounting of brick tile. The first assumes laying of material on all length of wall. According to the second option, it is necessary to put tile on 3-4 rows small sites. The chosen mounting mode depends on practical skills of the stacker.
Completion phase of installation works is the finish of seams of brick tile which is carried out by means of special gun or the rubber palette. There are three types of grouting material: mix for moist drawing, with plasticizers and, applied on all facing.
The first option of finish for brick tile for outside works is suitable for the rough processed stone or the made old brick. Mix is diluted with water to consistence that substance was not scattered in fist. Thanks to the rough invoice it is heavy to put such finish. It is especially heavy to control depth of filling of seams. This mix is produced in two flowers.
For drawing the second option of finish the special gun which evenly fills intertiled space is used. Residues of mix after drying are cut off. Lack of such grouting material is its high cost.
The third option is ideal for smooth tile. It is evenly applied not only on seams, but also on facing material. After full drying of structure all excesses are removed.
Helpful advice! Glue and finish it is better to choose one producer. In this case it is possible to achieve the maximum compatibility of materials.
Brick panels for facade
Indisputable advantages of clinker tile do this material ideal for facing of buildings. However demands considerable time expenditure on performance of work. How to execute finishing by clinker in the shortest possible time, without additional expenses and loss of quality? Ideally reasonable decision is use of panels with brick tile without heater or thermopanels.
Despite distinctive advantages of facing materials with insulating layer, for certain buildings just there is no need to use thermopanels. It belongs to frame houses, combined and panel board buildings where the insulating layer is already provided. This category includes buildings which are created on technology of fixed timbering. For arrangement of system of the ventilated facade it is also inexpedient to use thermopanels. There are also architectural buildings for which heat-insulating works are not provided. These are garages, subsidiary buildings, arbors, stone fences.
The brick not warmed panel is sheet material, strong, resistant to bend, on which ranks of brick tile at certain distance are strongly fixed by means of glue or other technology to create illusion of the real brickwork. Front part of the front panel is created so that each following sheet was continuation previous. On free sites and between ranks special washers or brackets for fastening of panels to wall are provided.
As the basis substrate under brick tile the fiber cement, oriented strand or magnesite glass plates is used.
Oriented strand plates are made of wood spill with addition of epoxy resins by means of technology of pressing. They have homogeneous structure, have high strength, moisture resistance, good heat-insulating and sound-proof indicators. Their curb weight is insignificant that does not make heavier precast structure.
The brick tile is attached to panels by means of polyurethane glue which provides good monolithic coupling.
Structure basis for fiber cement panels are synthetic (fiberglass, polymeric) or natural fibers. Solution mix gives in to molding and processing under the influence of high temperatures and big pressure in special autoclaves where necessary polymerization and crystallization of components is reached. At production stage the brick tile is pressed in in fiber cement plate. As a result reliable strong coupling of two layers turns out.
These panels differ in environmental friendliness, durability, high strength rates. However they have essential shortcoming: their weight is more, than at analogs that complicates installation works. The fiber cement plate 10 mm thick weighs 10 kg, plus brick tile which depending on product thickness, adds 15-20 more kg.
Plates are mounted by means of metal brackets on anchors. Therefore are applied to walls which are capable to sustain considerable loading.
The composite leaf 8 mm thick forms basis for magnesite glass plates. It has high resistance to chemicals, temperature drops, ultraviolet. Material has good thermoinsulating properties, has high coefficient of noise-absorbing.
The main advantage of panels which allows to use them for finishing not of ideally plain surfaces is the good flexibility of product.
There is no uniform standard of production of panels with brick tile on magnesite glass basis today. Each producer releases the model range of facing products.
Helpful advice! It is possible to issue the individual order for production of the brick panel of certain sample with the mosaic calculation of tile of the different texture and color.
Front thermopanels with brick tile
When it is necessary to resolve issue: how to execute warming and facing of facade at the same time, material of new generation – the thermopanel with brick tile comes to the rescue.
This facing material represents two-layer element which consists of layer of heat insulator and brick tile. Polyurethane foam, expanded polystyrene or mineral wool can act as heat insulator. Thickness of the warming layer is 30-100 mm.
Polyurethane foam has number of indisputable advantages that does it material to the most demanded as heater of buildings. Its heat conductivity is equal to 0.020 W / (м×С), density of material is 20 kg/m ³. Polyurethane foam has the increased resistance to corrosive medium and does not give in to rotting.
Mounting of panels is carried out thorn in groove that provides high rigidity and the increased resistance to winds.
Advantages of material:
- use of panels with heater allows to cut down expenses on heating of the building for 50%;
- facing material allows to remove dew point out of borders of the building that prolongs the term of its service;
- facing possesses mechanical strength, resistance to frosts, moisture resistance and fire resistance;
- easy mounting without application of accessory materials;
- thanks to the solid sizes of panels the quantity of seams decreases that reduces number of colds bridges;
- variety of invoices and color gamma allows to recreate unique decorative registration of the building;
- long life cycle of facing material which can reach up to 100 years.
- the thermopanel has the low level of flexibility that allows to mount it only on ideally equal wall;
- high cost of product.
Kinds of thermopanels with brick tile
Today there are several kinds of this facing material which are classified on the basis of distinctive features of product.
Depending on the location of the thermopanel are separated into two groups:
- socle – the thermopanels, small by the linear sizes, having big thickness;
- front – thermopanels of the big sizes.
As heater for panels one of materials can be used:
- polyurethane foam is capable to maintain temperature to 180ºС. It is moisture resistant material which does not shrink.
- extruded polystyrene foam has good heat-insulating properties, however shrinks that accelerates finishing destruction process. To fasten only as “dovetail”. Material maintains temperature to 60ºС;
- mineral wool is used extremely seldom. Material is afraid of moisture that demands additional arrangement of waterproofing.
Depending on the structure of design of the panel share with heater on:
- two-layer panels consist of insulating layer and clinker;
- three-layer panels have additional substrate from moisture resistant plate of OSB that gives it additional rigidity and raises product life cycle;
- four-layer thermopanels have fire-resistant substrate between heater and OSB.
For fastening of brick tile to layer of heater reception can be used:
- pressing is suitable for polyurethane foam. The brick tile keeps within form which is filled in with frothed polymer and maintain under pressure before full hardening of heater;
- the glued joint is used for expanded polystyrene. The insulating panel is manufactured with deepenings for future tile which is fixed in their cavity by means of glue. The product is maintained under pressure to full grasp. It is cheap, but not really reliable way;
- “larkspur” is applied to expanded polystyrene. Clinker is made with trapezoid groove where polymer is pressed. It is the most expensive type of mounting.
Dimensions and weight of product
Heater has the insignificant weight what you will not tell about brick tile. However thanks to the big area of the thermopanel that allows to distribute evenly total weight, facing does not bear special loading for wall.
If thermopanels are used only for giving to facade of the building of respectable look, then panels with thickness of heater of 30-40 mm are used, and for creation of good heat insulation it is necessary to use products 60-100 mm thick. To this value it is necessary to add clinker thickness to 8-12 mm.
The linear sizes of the thermopanel depend on their place of application:
- 1000×700 mm, 1590×589 mm, 1145×670 mm, 1140×690 mm are used for facing of facade;
- 302×148 mm and 950×650 mm are applied to facing of socle;
- 670×645 mm are complementary elements;
- 240 and 240×670 mm, 245 and 25×650 (corner sizes on both sides) have L-shaped panels.
Brick thermopanels for facade: material price
The price of brick tile for facade with heater depends on producer of material, thickness and type of insulating layer, type of brick tile. Products from KamphaTherm (Germany), Regent (Russia), Cerrad (Poland), NEVATERM (Russia), Stroeher (Germany) are the most demanded.
Stages of mounting of thermopanels with brick tile
Before starting mounting of thermopanels, it is necessary to achieve ideally equal wall.
Helpful advice! In order to avoid the troublesome works connected with alignment of walls it is possible to create on basis surface framework in the form of metal or wood furring.
Despite the notable weight of thermopanels, the form and the mechanism of its connection allow to execute fast and easy mounting of product which consists of the following stages:
- In the bottom of ideally equal wall the starting level in the form of the aluminum shape is established.
- The second level fastens on height of future facing.
- Mounting begins with L-shaped panels from the left corner.
- The first panel is inserted into profile from aluminum and is fixed by means of self-tapping screws or screws.
- To be applied on thorn of the panel sealant or polyurethane foam and the following thermopanel inserted into starting level joins.
- Mounting of the following row begins after previous is completely laid.
Helpful advice! Seams between plates can be processed in addition special mixes which will protect heater from moisture penetration.
Thanks to numerous positive reviews, front thermopanels with brick tile take the leading position among facing materials which not only is capable to give to the building creative and presentable look, but also to create additional warming for walls that will provide additional comfort for owners of the building.