Table of Contents
Main negative line of the project: small area of apartments. Especially a lot of disappointment is brought to owners by tiny “bathrooms” in which, occasionally, it is impossible to place even the most necessary equipment. However, the competent design will help not to expand let this corner, but to turn it into functional and cozy.
What it is better to begin with?
It will be most correct to begin with the design project. Even if it will be very simple. The purpose of its creation – optimum to place furniture indoors. All sanitary equipment as installed, and which only is planned as purchase is for this purpose measured and walls are measured. On leaf of squared paper schematically, but precisely on the executed measurements the bathroom is represented. As furniture and the equipment it is possible to use paper figures of the necessary sizes. They are recommended to be “placed” in the room, selecting the most economic option. In such a way the design is chosen. The ready option is fixed on the scheme.
After preparation of the project it is possible to start the choice of finishing materials. Most often bathrooms revet with tile. Also other decors, but this the most widespread and practical are possible. The tile can occupy walls completely or keep within in the form of panels, panel, etc. Most functionally will be to revet with this material of wall and floor.
Tile: variety of options
It is possible to consider tile one of the most popular materials for finishing. Its range in shops is very big, however all this variety to destination can be separated into two views:
- Floor. It is intended for facing of floors. Differs in dense structure, the high strength increased by resistance to abrasion and almost total absence of ability to absorb water. Only shortcoming: it is badly cut.
- Wall. It is applied only for walls. Material has less dense structure that does covering to softer and gives the chance to cut out on tile of opening and to adjust it to basis bend. The tile differs in ability to absorb moisture.
It is necessary to select design of wall tile, being guided by floor. They have to create harmonious tandem, having something in common on subject and color. It is possible to choose uniform collection which the floor, wall tile and all necessary elements of decor usually enter.
Registration of the bathroom can be miscellaneous. For the embodiment of the design ideas, even the most unusual, it is necessary to choose suitable facing. The tile can be made of different materials:
- Ceramics. The most widespread long-lasting and strong option. Is issued in different design, the most various shades and invoices.
- Porcelain. Expensive facing differing in special exterior. The dense texture and the raised mechanical strength give the chance to use it as wall or floor. It is made most often not glazed.
- Glass. Rather low cost and simplicity in leaving together with very attractive exterior do facing very popular. The fragility therefore it is the best of all to use it in the form of inserts in combination with other finishing materials is considered lack of covering.
- Mosaic. Kind of glass or ceramic tile. Represents squares of the different sizes, most often small, different shades and the invoice. Them them the drawing gathers afterwards. Can be issued in the form of already ready small mosaic panels. It is very beautiful, long-lasting and strong. It is used in exclusive interiors.
- Stone. Differs in original attractive exterior. The tile wearproof is also strong, can be operated in the most adverse conditions. Main shortcomings: big weight and high cost.
We choose color scheme of interior
The decor of the bathroom is selected by rules of coloring, the science studying colors.
Following several simple rules it is possible to pick up optimal color scheme for the room:
- We choose basic shades for interior. So call two, less often three, basic colors on which registration is based. It have to be contrast tone, not discording with each other. For the bathroom it can be combination of shades orange and blue, violet and yellow or green and red. If the so-called triad, that is three colors is chosen, then the classical example can be considered red, yellow and blue or brown, green and violet.
- Designers recommend to use bright colors in interior. Clean attractive tone give to the room original lines whereas neutral coloring depersonalize it. At the same time it is not necessary to be fond of the saturation of color. For the small room choose light shades.
- We create balance of warm and cold colors. Dominance in decor of the bathroom of cold shades demands obligatory addition of warm flowers: yellow, orange or red. They will introduce feeling of heat, comfort and cosiness. The interior in warm colors has to be “surely diluted” with cold shades that will make it more harmonious.
- It is necessary to apply rule 60:30:10 to creation of ideal color balance. It means that 60% of the room will “be painted” in one color, 30% – to others and 10% — the third. It is necessary to know that the “painted” plane it not only color of ceiling, floor or walls, but also tone of furniture, accessories and different decor.
We move apart space
Usually the bathroom is characterized by the small sizes and physically it is impossible to broaden it, of course. However to add feeling of spaciousness and to visually increase the room quite easily. There is set of the receptions which are visually “moving apart” space:
- the various inserts executed from glass of blocks;
- horizontal laying of tile;
- placement on the diagonal of the sanitary equipment;
- the contrast tile or frieze laid as decorative strips on perimeter of top or bottom of the room;
- the floor tile which is laid out on diagonal;
- mirrors of different forms, except for those that are located on opposite walls.
It is possible to choose one reception from this list or to use at once a little. Happens that it is necessary “to extend” visually the room up. For this purpose there are such design cunnings:
- installation of stretch glossy ceiling;
- the tile of contrast color laid in upper corners on perimeter of all room;
- the arrangement of decor at the level of eyes or is slightly higher;
- the tile laid in the vertical way;
- inserts from facing of contrast color or the friezes established in the vertical direction.
The important element of design of the small bathroom can be considered lighting. Light in the room has to be much, the additional feeling of spaciousness is so created. Optimal variant – multilevel lighting. In this quality the dot lamps which are built in in ceiling, wall lamps, illumination at mirrors, etc. can act. Also light shade is very important. The cold daylight lamps distorting colors are unacceptable in small rooms. Preference should be given to warm cozy shades.
A lot of things depend also on the competent choice of the sanitary equipment. As much as possible to release space it is necessary to stop on compact models or to choose suspended designs which visually broaden the room. It is the best of all to prefer furniture suspended with glossy or mirror facades. As a last resort it is possible to use floor, but it is obligatory on high legs. It is worth trying to use as much as possible useful area, fixing the railing, the various systems of storage or to equip niches.
There is set of ways of laying of tile. We will consider the traditional options which are visually changing space geometry in more detail.
Horizontal options of laying of tile
Laying in the horizontal plane assumes use of two flowers of facing. One of them gets out light, the second – dark. The border suitable on shade or tiles with the decorative drawing can be used. The first way assumes to place the site of transition from dark color to light precisely on sink level. At the same time lighter part is located above the equipment. It is the best of all to make out the place of transition border. As the option can suggest to be added finishing with one more number of decor located under ceiling or is a little lower.
Other variation of horizontal laying: transition from light tone to dark is located at the level of bathtub. In this case the area of the light site of wall is slightly more, than in the previous option that allows to add scope to the room visually. Also use of one or several rows of border is supposed. The third way consists in double transition from dark to light. Both sites of connection of shades are emphasized with borders. In the center there can be light or dark tone. This option is not recommended to be used in the presence of low ceilings as it even more them visually lowers.
Vertical ways of laying of tile
For vertically oriented laying facing of two or even more flowers is used. The tile is established in the form of strips of different width with obligatory mounting of borders in places of transition of one shade in another. One of laying options – arrangement of dark tones on the center of the room, and light – on corners or on the contrary. It is possible to lay specially dark shades so that they became background for the white sanitary equipment. Such decor looks very good.
By means of vertical laying it is possible to zone the room. In that case the tile of one collection, but different colors or textures is selected. Each zone of the room will be designated by certain shade. The same effect will give also zoning by decor when it is used different in format and I blossom facing. The way and for tile with transition to panel as it allows to focus attention on the necessary part of the room is very good.
The combined laying
Non-standard approach to interior decor – the combined laying of tile. It is possible to consider several options. The first – combination of the horizontal and vertical layout. When using mix of suitable flowers illusion of windows to which it is possible to add thematic panels is created. But even without them the feeling of spaciousness appears. The second – laying of facing on diagonal. Very economic way as only the tile of two flowers, without any additional decor is required. Transition of shades is carried out on wall diagonal that yields very effective and original result.
Combination of horizontal and vertical strips – great way “to raise” ceiling and “to play” at the same time space. Lines of different orientation can be allocated on the general background with texture, color or at the same time to that and another. The quantity of strips and their orientation can be the most different. And, at last, inverse way of laying. Original transition of one shade to another by means of color inversion can be chaotic or create certain composition. Very esthetic and economic option as assumes use only of tile of two shades, without decor.
Competent calculation of amount of materials
Some of the main ways can lay tile on wall: direct or diagonal. The first assumes mounting of facing parallel to floor, in case from wall, or along walls, in case with floor tile. In this case the laid material equal ranks of small squares will remind leaf from notebook in cage. It is the most economical mounting mode, assumes the smallest quantity of scraps.
The second – laying of tile on diagonal so that its edges lay at an angle 45 °. It can be used for wall and for floor facing. Adjustment of facing according to the drawing is supposed what significantly increases material consumption. As it is necessary to carry out undercutting of edges of tile for optimum joining of plates. Besides in the forefront joints need to be done at the greatest distance from walls to hide their possible roughnesses. It increases undercutting too.
Rules of carrying out calculations
Calculations can be executed in the special computer program which can be found on one of the specialized websites. But it is possible and to conduct them independently, having used the following algorithm:
- We measure height and length of each wall. If on this wall there is door window or about it the bathtub is established, we subtract their sizes from the sizes which have turned out earlier.
- We measure length and width of floor in the bathroom.
- We choose the tile sizes.
- We define approximate quantity of plates, having separated the square on which facing, on the area of one element will be pasted. The received result is rounded up.
It is necessary to make a reservation that it is very approximate way of calculation. Specialists recommend to calculate number of tiles by the piece by such calculation procedure:
- We divide width of the surface intended for facing into tile width. We receive quantity of plates among. If the fraction has turned out, we round it towards increase.
- We divide length of basis into tile length. As a result we learn quantity of rows which also we round up.
- We multiply quantity of rows by number of tiles among and we receive number of tiles, necessary for laying.
If in wall there are doors, any other apertures or to it the bathtub which is not going to be revetted is moved up, it is necessary to consider this fact when calculating. The quantity of tiles necessary for facing of all wall and aperture in it is determined by the technique described above. Then the difference between these two sizes which will be required quantity of the tiles necessary for laying is calculated. One more nuance: no matter, as the amount of material has been calculated, surely we add 10-15% to the received size. It is necessary stock which is required on undercutting, on case of damage of tile, etc. Even if not all facing will be spent, it surely is required afterwards for probable renovation.
Except tile works require glue. It is very simple to define its quantity. It is necessary to study recommendations on packaging. It is slightly more difficult to calculate expense of finish which is used for filling of seams. For this purpose it is required to determine the volume of the filled space. For calculations the joint gap width which can vary from 1.5 to 3 mm is chosen. Besides it is necessary to determine seam depth. Size is equal to tile thickness with the coefficient 1.5 considering humidity, material shrinkage, etc. The quantity of finish is calculated as follows: half of perimeter of tile is divided into its square, is multiplied by thickness, joint gap width and coefficient 1.5. As a result weight in kilograms of the material necessary for work on 1 sq.m of facing will turn out.
Bathroom decor in the small-size apartment – rather difficult task even for the experienced designer. However you should not be upset. If to connect imagination, to use special design receptions, to competently pick up and mount tile, functional, practical and very attractive interior will turn out.