Table of Contents
Decorating garden or the house adjoining territory with decor elements, you should not forget about garden paths which, except the direct functional orientation, can become excellent addition to already constructed objects.
Role of garden paths in landscaping
– the house, bath, farm buildings, garage – in the home territory not to do without paths and paths connecting important country objects. They harmoniously connect the basic and decorative elements in uniform picture, organize access to the most remote, secret corners of garden. Besides, by means of paths it is very convenient to divide the site into several functional zones. They are, at least, two – the worker (greenhouses, kitchen garden) and recreation area (bath, arbor, the pool, swing).
Selection of material for creation of paths is not limited: wooden elements, natural stone, brick, paving slabs, stone blocks, gravel and crushed stone. Usually take that construction material which is characteristic of this area. For example, designs from wood, and in coastal – from pebble and natural stone are widespread in forested areas.
The type of path in many respects depends on its purpose. Coverings for entrance of motor transport usually direct, are made of strong material. The footpaths conducting in garden or to pond – twisting, winding between trees and flower beds, created from gravel, tree or natural stone.
Tile and clinker brick – for any loading
Decorative function of paths is important, but the technical aspect is much more important. If road surfacing is located in the “active” territory where there are farm buildings, bath, garage, entrance on the site, then it has to be strong, long-lasting and stable. Optimum material for such designs – clinker brick, granite stone blocks, paving slabs. Except the choice of the correct material it is necessary to prepare competently pillow – the basis from crushed stone and sand which is perfectly passing water. Concrete surfacing is waterproof therefore instead of drainage pillow use drainings at the edges of path.
Apply clinker brick to creation of original mosaic paths – the products from quality clay which have undergone roasting. Filler of different shades which is added to clay at production allows to create ornament from elements of several flowers similar on shade or, on the contrary, contrast. There is line of specially made old brick which gives the chance to pave sidewalks in ancient style.
Products for construction of paths can be got ready or to make independently. Shops offer good selection of stone blocks from natural stone or paving slabs of different color. This material perfectly will be suitable for roads with heavy load.
If operational loading is small, then the cement flag of independent production will approach. For its production it is necessary to get cliche: ready forms are on sale in shops. Also cement (400 or 500) will be required. Solution is filled in in form and in turn spread ready elements, the beautiful, equal path as a result turns out.
Natural stone and gravel – economic approach
Sometimes the country site is in the stony area, and then some part of material can be got nearby, for example, in career or on the river bank. It will save means and will allow to create natural and picturesque paths. They are strong, long-lasting and perfectly are in harmony with greens and flowers.
Feature of natural stone – variety of color gamma. Using elements of different shade and the size, it is possible to create not just motley covering, but the design decorated with cunning ornament or original pattern. Advantage of stone – its universality: it is not necessary to select elements of identical form or the size, absolutely different parts look appropriate and harmoniously.
For fixing of elements of stone path use concrete solution which is simple to preparing independently, having bought ready dry mix in shop.
Interesting options of paths and paths turn out from plain gravel. More serious ideas – for example, entrance for motor transport are good as the winding footpaths in garden, and. In order that gravel paths served long, small elements need to be recorded. For this purpose use several ways:
- Border device. It can be simple wooden elements – the rails or pegs hammered vertically. Not bad as border the brick or larger stone looks.
- Superficial trench. The gravel which is filled up in specially dug groove will not be scattered in different directions. But in this case the drainage system preventing stagnation of rain water is useful.
- Fixing by cement slurry. The gravel which is filled in with cement forms uniform monolithic covering, very strong and long-lasting.
The most successful option is combination of all three ways. Such paths differ in special reliability and look much more attractively.
Paths with wooden elements
House, even some cozy look to the garden site is given by the paths executed from wooden parts. Their creation more difficult, but result is worth it. For works use thick boards, logs, bars. The tumbled-down trees can also be put on use: they are sawn on identical elements, and from the received “penk” spread garden paths and wider paths.
Of course, the tree will not be compared to stone on durability, but at certain processing wood will serve two decades. Each part needs to be processed anti-septic tank from all directions, having protected that its from decay and mold, and then to cover with waterproof varnish. If one of wooden parts becomes useless over time, it is easy to replace it similar – expensive and long-term repair will not be required.
The most widespread types of paths with use of wooden elements:
- step-by-step paths from penk;
- wide paths from penk, skintight to each other;
- the combined designs from wooden boards and concrete (or gravel charge);
- traditional wooden bridges.
Paths from tree are especially good where there are wooden constructions or elements of decor – arbors, bridges, benches.
Production of brick path: step-by-step instruction
The brick, as well as natural stone, is perfectly combined with such elements of garden decor as flower beds, beds, wooden constructions. The paths from traditional red brick conducting to bath or arbor can be created independently, without assistance, observing certain sequence of actions.
For laying choose the simplest way – the next row shift every time on half-brick. Elements it is possible to have both parallel to border, and on diagonal. Sand and crushed stone are necessary for the device of pillow to make framework – wooden boards of small width.
- Carry out deepening to prepare the basis for paving. Rather superficial trench, about 0.3 m. At the same time it is worth taking care of draining that rain water did not stand between bricks. For this purpose on the one hand pull out small groove.
- Using boards, create borders of future path.
- On bottom of the prepared trench evenly distribute drainage binding gravel of small fraction. Upon termination of gravel it is necessary to stamp, having excluded its further sharp shrinkage. It is not obligatory to get special purpose tool, also self-made tamper – log with a diameter of 0.2 m with the handle will approach.
- On gravel bed fill up sand layer, then also stamp it and level. Layer thickness – about 5 cm. The more exactly the sand layer, the better will lay down brick, therefore, the path will serve longer.
- Along boards mount brick border, establishing it by end face or on corner. Apply rubber hammer as from blows by the normal tool the brick can break up or shatter to adjustment.
- Stack bricks equal ranks, leaving small gaps between elements. That material was used productively, at stage of planning it is necessary to calculate path width so that bricks entered entirely (exception – the diagonal drawing at which sites along border fill with halves of bricks).
- Intervals between elements fill up with sand and make finish.
- Timber frame construction can be removed, but many leave it to give designs additional stability.
As you can see, to make brick path with own hands absolutely simply. According to the same scheme it is possible to lay out footpath from natural stone or stone blocks.