Table of Contents
Few what repair does without gluing of wall-paper. And it is rare when invite professional builders to similar operation – each person is able to glue wall-paper. However often after repair it is possible to observe on walls roughnesses, distortions, unsticking on joints of paper strips. The most tragic option of unsuccessful repair – falling of the pasted strips on floor. To avoid similar succession of events, it is necessary to approach repair process very carefully.
Types of wall-paper
Going to shop of construction and finishing materials, thoughts are usually occupied with selection of optimum coloring and drawings. And here specific variety is considered a little though the type of wall-paper has direct impact on stages of repair and their high-quality execution. In assortment of finishing materials it is possible to meet the following decisions:
- Paper wall covering. Normally it is the most budgetary and ecological option. On way of drawing the drawing on paper wall-paper is divided into imprinted (volume) and smooth. Are not suitable for rooms with high humidity, but also are very susceptible to sunlight, that is fade over time.
- “Under painting”. Are unpretentious to quality of walls, are suitable for any rooms. This wall-paper has pronounced impressive surface and, thanks to possibility of repeated coloring, allows to change interior design in the shortest possible time.
- Vinyl wall coverings. The most widespread finishing material. Consist of two layers, upper of which – PVC film. Are not whimsical in leaving, are long-lasting, do not demand big care by preparation of walls, but also differ in beautiful relief and bright drawings.
- Textile wall-paper. Also have two layers: paper and woven. Differ from paper analogs in the increased esthetics, excellent hygienic indicators and high price.
- Non-woven wall-paper – smooth and relief. They are got under painting. Are convenient in gluing as are practically not deformed and perfectly hide defects of walls.
These are the most widespread types, but except them there is still wall-paper:
Any of the above-named finishing materials has the specifics in gluing. Most often producers leave this information on the label (insert) for what the special system of signs is used. Also the instruction where all most important points of repair are described is put to each roll.
How to calculate quantity of wall-paper
To calculate quantity of rolls for pasting of one room, seldom resort to some special formulas. Usually calculation is made according to such scheme:
- The room perimeter, that is width of all walls under wall-paper is measured;
- Floor-to-ceiling height is measured;
- Is calculated how many strips can be cut from one roll. At the same time all sizes received earlier are used. For example, the standard roll in 10 meters is enough for 4 strips with room height up to 2.5 meters.
- The quantity of necessary strips, proceeding from width of roll and the received perimeter is calculated.
- Using information from item 3 and item 4 find out necessary quantity of rolls.
Upon purchase it is very important to pay attention to markings of party, series and color. At discrepancy of data it is possible to receive wall-paper with different intensity of coloring and to spoil all registration of the room.
Preparation of walls
Many professional builders suggest to define humidity of walls prior to repair work and to remove the cause if the indicator is very high. Such care is logical, on wall with constantly appearing condensate wall-paper will not keep. However at house repair seldom who thinks of humidity as works of large volume — only preparation of wall and sticker of wall-paper usually are not planned.
And nevertheless it is necessary to define humidity of wall and in case of unfavourable conclusions, to replace wall-paper with other finishing material or to take measures for high-quality repair of the room. The humidity is demonstrated by the following facts:
- Mold and fungus in the room;
- The exfoliating wall-paper or plaster;
- Emergence of bubbles on paint.
If at least one of these moments is observed you should not glue wall-paper without additional preparation.
Removal of old finishing materials becomes the following stage of works. At the same time it is worth knowing that if before on walls there was two-layer wall-paper, then to tear off the second layer there is no need. It will perfectly form basis for new finishing.
Wall-paper is removed most often traditionally – by means of water with which impregnate paper, and the pallet for separation of strip from walls. Though it is possible to use also more modern techniques:
- Paper removal by special solvent;
- Removals of cloth by means of grinding nozzle on drill.
Degree of intensity of preparation of walls depends on their state. Any problem with under wallpaper space can be solved if to know the correct approach:
- On plaster big cracks – it is necessary to use the condensing weight with additional strengthening of sites synthetic fabric.
- The plaster showered plaster easily is neutralized by the protective or getting primer applied in two layers.
- The smooth surface is prepared by putting contact primer.
- Plates of chipboard and gypsum cardboard cover with protective primer.
- The painted walls are checked for covering durability, and then carefully clean them from dust and dirt. To smooth covering of varnish or dispersive paint roughen, eliminate minor defects by means of putty, and then ground. Defects on silicate or mineral paint eliminate with the same structures, then also subject to primer.
As each material is exposed finally to priming, it is important to know what structures are for this purpose used. Walls under wall-paper ground one of three options:
- The wallpaper glue which is strongly diluted with water;
- Acrylic primer;
- Primer with special characteristics: protective, contact, “anti-mold”, etc.
After drying of primer there occurs the last part of preparatory work – creation of substrate. Even if walls of the house are ideal, the paper basis under wall-paper will give the best coupling of materials, so, to provide durability and quality of finishing work.
As substrate use:
- Old newspapers ;
- Paper for sticking up of windows;
- Rolled waste paper;
- Check tape.
The last three options are convenient that they are issued in rolls and have the fixed width. The substrate is glued on walls by horizontal strips with that frequency which will be optimum according to the master. After glue drying – not less than in a day – it is possible to begin works on gluing of wall-paper.
Preparation of wall-paper
Depending on that there is on wall-paper accurately expressed rapport of the drawing or not decide how “to cut out” paper strip. Usually one of five options is specified instructions from the producer:
- There is no drawing – wall-paper is glued end-to-end without shift;
- Direct arrangement of the drawing – wall-paper is glued end-to-end without shift;
- The drawing is shifted – wall-paper is glued end-to-end or with an overlap with adjustment for coincidence of pattern;
- Mirror arrangement – each subsequent cloth overturn rather previous;
- The drawing with accurate rapport – in the instruction the size at which shift cloth on height is specified.
Having decided on the system of cutting, wall-paper cuts out on strips of necessary length and prepares the place for putting glue. For this purpose the strip is displayed on plain clean horizontal surface, other sheets can be held put in pack. But it is not recommended to cut more than 10 strips for once – better to be limited for a start to one roll, that is four strips. When cutting strips it is recommended to leave stock longwise to 5 cm from each party. It will allow not to be mistaken with patterns, will provide high-quality gluing. Excesses of paper remove process of works.
Glue which will be used further has to correspond to type of wall-paper completely. On packagings proportions are always specified, but they are approximate. It is better to be guided by the following rule: the it is heavier wall-paper, the more densely there has to be glue and the higher it expense. Practically all glues have additives and are intended for finishing materials of certain type:
- With fungicide – for vinyl;
- With starch – for simple paper;
- With synthetic pitches – for especially heavy wall-paper;
- Dispersive – for fabric and metal, etc.
It is worth remembering that for non-woven wall-paper glue is applied directly on wall, and for the others – on the paper basis.
Gluing of wall-paper
Begin to glue wall-paper from window or from the largest subject in the room. It is very important not to be mistaken with the front page as it is defining. For quality work it is recommended to plan by means of plumb and the level of vertical and to draw them pencil. It is good when there is opportunity under repair to participate to two masters. Then there will be no problems evenly to impose strip parallel to marking and not to damage paper.
But before wall-paper will get on wall they have to be subjected to certain procedures:
- Glue by means of brush is applied on the strip which is spread out on table or clean floor. Moving direction – from the middle to edge. At the same time it is necessary to watch that the layer of glue has covered all sites without exception.
- Glue has to be absorbed and soften paper basis. For this purpose the strip is put “accordion” or four times: from bottom and top to the middle, and then in half.
- Wall-paper is in the put state from 5 to 10 minutes – duration of time increases for heavy cloths.
- Wall-paper develops and pastes.
Wall-paper always glues from top to down, that is from ceiling to floor. When there was above glue coupling, on wall distribute all cloth. For this purpose smooth with its brush (sponge or the special roller) in the direction from the middle to edges. It allows to remove the air which has got under paper and to get rid of excesses of glue.
With relief and imprinted patterns the extra care therefore they are practically not smoothed but only provide joining of seams is necessary.
Smoothing is conducted on all to length: from top to bottom. After gluing excesses of paper at the edges above and below by means of stationery knife and metal ruler are removed. If in the course of works on joints glue has appeared, it is immediately deleted with slightly wet rag.
After the first glue other strips, observing the sequence and rate of the drawing.
Cunnings of repair of walls
The care not always provides high quality, and here knowledge of professional nuances allows to achieve excellent result in work:
- When pasting strips with an overlap it is necessary to move from window that shadows did not appear.
- On corner you should not glue the whole strip. It is better to make work in two stages: to arrange at first piece to corner plus overlap in 20 cm on the second wall. Then strictly vertically to arrange new strip on the next wall. By means of metal ruler and knife to cut through wall-paper and to create ideal seam.
- The external corner is made out according to the similar scheme, but it is recommended to increase the size of overlap to 25-30 cm. The exception is made by vinyl wall coverings which needs to be stirred on this site end-to-end.
- During repair work temperature drops and change of humidity indoors should not be observed. It means – not to open window and window leaf and not to switch-off the battery.
Wall-paper on ceiling
These works require not less than two people – it is desirable three. Strips are cut out on all to ceiling length. It is necessary to glue them in the direction “from window”, strictly observing parallelism of edge and wall.
For the rest everything becomes according to the same scheme, as in works with wall.
It is simple to achieve good final result at independent repair in principle. The main thing not to forget that half of success is hidden in preparation of walls and careful implementation of all recommendations about repair.