Table of Contents
The question of replacement of radiators of heating is equally relevant also in old houses, and in new buildings. In the last often it is necessary to change all heating services whereas in old constructions the speech usually goes about simple replacement of batteries. Works of such level do not belong to discharge of difficult and are quite feasible. Of course, it is worth taking care of approval, the necessary tool and to study thoroughly the procedure of mounting before beginning replacement of radiators with the hands.
Types of radiators of heating
Earlier everything was simply – in houses installed batteries from cast iron, and other options were not. The modern market pleases with variety of goods, but at the same time sets and thinking what of offered in shops radiators of heating it is better in what their advantages and shortcomings.
Usually the choice is conducted among four options differing first of all on materials.
These are batteries:
Pig-iron radiators are usual classics of heating system, but after all their popularity consigns to the past, despite excellent performance data. The reason of decline in demand for cast iron is in shortcomings of batteries: they are massive, are bulky and very fragile, besides, badly fit into design of rooms, worsening the design interior.
If these reasons are not essential, then it is worth choosing pig-iron radiators as they:
- do not rust;
- are steady against different types of corrosion;
- long hold heat, that is have thermal inertness;
- are long-lasting;
- are inexpensive (if, of course, it is not design decisions).
Steel radiators belong to controversial decisions and therefore demand for them is steadily small. On the one hand, they have the indicators approximate to pig-iron options that is of keen interest to users. On the other hand – shortcomings of steel batteries are very essential.
It is possible to carry to them:
- low indicators on heat emission (lose to both bimetallic, and aluminum decisions);
- tendency to rust formation because of the oxidizing processes happening in the absence of the heat carrier in radiator;
- instability to hydroblows during molding and tests of heating system.
Aluminum radiators take the leading position in the rating of electric heaters. The reason of it in successful combination of advantages to small and solvable shortcomings.
- good esthetics and design;
- easy mounting with the minimum set of tools;
- low weight of sections;
- opportunity to gain quantity of sections depending on room space;
- excellent indicators of heat emission;
- available cost (though above cast iron and steel);
- fast speed of heating;
- high working pressure – up to 20 bars.
Refer tendency to oxidation to shortcomings of aluminum batteries, especially at connection with other metals.
Bimetallic radiators – the best that offers the construction market. The impression is spoiled by the high cost of products. However practical owners will evaluate combination of advantages of aluminum and steel radiators in bimetallic combination:
- there is no tendency to corrosion;
- the sensitivity to hydroblow is reduced;
- good working pressure;
- quite good indicators on the speed of heating and heat emission.
Having got acquainted with the range, it is possible to pass to the second stage of preparatory activities – calculation of necessary quantity of sections of radiator of heating and their acquisition.
Calculation of quantity of sections
You should not project heat and comfort in the house “by eye”. Competently to resolve issue in the necessary size of the battery in the room, it is recommended to use special formula. In it there is nothing difficult therefore even the nonspecialist can perform calculation.
The main evaluation criterion is put in Construction Norms and Regulations where it is specified that full heating of one square meter of the area is possible in the presence of radiator power in 100 watts. The quantity of sections is calculated by multiplication of the area of the room by 100 and division of the received result into the power of one section of the chosen radiator. The result is rounded by rules of mathematics, and halved in case of availability in the room of two places for arrangement of heating appliances.
At the same time the correction to type of coefficient 1.2 for the rooms with angular arrangement that is having two walls contacting to the street is provided.
If such calculation after all seems difficult, then it is possible to use simpler and approximate option: one section on 2 square meters. At such approach it is not required to look for data on the power of different radiators, and it is enough to know the area of the warmed room.
Tools for mounting
To make replacement of radiator of heating, it is necessary to solve complex problem of dismantling and mounting of sections. Tools, necessary for these manipulations, are in the house not always therefore it is worth thinking of purchase or rent of the following things in advance:
- the Bulgarian and the disk which is applied to her on metal;
- the perforator and drill on concrete;
- extension wrench;
- construction level;
- die or other device for threading.
Besides, have to be present at the assortment of materials, necessary for work:
- mayevsky’s cranes;
- ball valves;
- traffic jams stub;
- linen fiber, tow or fum-tape;
When all preparatory work is completed, dismantling of old products and installation of new sections can pass directly.
Dismantling of radiators
It is the best of all to choose time for works on replacement of electric heaters out of heating season, otherwise it is necessary to leave without heat all vertical at home. During the spring and summer period of water in pipes is not present and therefore problems usually do not arise. Dismantlings of the heating equipment can also be engaged in the presence of the special crossing point allowing “to cut” radiator from all system.
Usually old batteries and therefore they are removed by cutting of pipes by the Bulgarian or the pipe cutter just before lock-nut are subject to replacement. Of course, it is quite good when simply it turns out to turn off all flanges and lock-nuts and to dismantle radiator more accurately.
Installation of electric heaters
Mounting of radiator can conditionally be separated into three stages:
- Hinge plate of sections;
- Connection to heating system;
The first block of works means the correct arrangement of radiator concerning wall and window.
It is necessary to follow at the same time several rules:
- The quantity of brackets has to be calculated according to the weight of the battery and taking into account number of sections. So, for example, the pig-iron radiator in 10 sections and more requires not less than six points of support, and for aluminum in the same complete set – only 4.
- The wall has to maintain the weight of all design. It means that if for walls gypsum cardboard, plastic panels or other similar material is used, then it is worth taking care of additional strengthening of the site.
- The hinge plate of sections has to carry out with the minimum bias that will help to prevent stagnation of air, so, to reduce heatlosses in heating season.
- At installation of radiator it is necessary to observe the distances recommended by normative documentation: to floor – about 150 mm, to window sill – not less than 100 mm, concerning window aperture – on the middle.
The second block of works is the basic as right now it is required to resolve issue on connection of radiator to heating system. That the most interesting, in many old houses with the one-pipe scheme of heating, the crossing point is already established, but it does not perform the function as on it there is no ball valve for water overlapping. During installation of new radiators it is possible to eliminate this defect and to establish sections in due form.
Installation is conducted according to the following scheme:
- Connection of sections is carried out and are mounted on open not functional entrances of stopper stub and Mayevsky’s crane.
- From the working party traffic jams through passage and control valves, that is the cranes which are responsible for giving and cutoff of water in system are established.
- If necessary the ball valve on crossing point is established.
- Connection of radiators to heating services is made.
At all stages of works it is very important to watch the necessary volume of the isolating winding as the main accidents happen in position of joints of pipes and cranes.
After completion of works on connection it is necessary to provide water supply in system and to check tightness of radiators in all critical points of mounting. In case of some problems it is worth eliminating malfunctions instantly, but not to wait for heating season.
Operation of batteries
It is very important to consider that many modern radiators badly transfer hydra and pneumoblows. Therefore plumbing fixtures specialists recommend to block cranes on end of the winter period. It will help to avoid undesirable loads of system in the period of planned spring and summer press fittings.
But after removal of water from system the danger of internal corrosion of metals sharply increases.
It will not occur if to take care of preventive measures:
- After cooling of sections, cranes on pipes of direct and return giving need to be blocked;
- To open Mayevsky’s crane – it will allow to reduce excessive pressure in pipes.
It is also possible to think of frequency of washing of contours of sections – for all of types of radiators, except pig-iron. The technology is simple: after shutdown of heating it is necessary to close valves on pipes, to open Mayevsky’s crane and to make disconnection of radiator from pipe system. Then to wash out sections strong pressure of water, it is the best of all by giving through hose. Any cleansers, especially it is not necessary to apply abrasive character even if the contour will seem very dirty. After radiator it is worth rinsing from above for removal of the collected dust and to connect back.
Pig-iron batteries need to be painted periodically with the special paint capable to transfer big heating temperatures without change of color. It is better not to paint aluminum and bimetallic sections, but if you have made such decision, then it is strictly forbidden to use the metallized paints which have an adverse effect on quality of heat emission.
Works with heating radiators infrequent, but if there was such need, then it is worth carrying out all manipulations carefully and accurately. Then in the house during cold weather will be not only it is warm and cozy, but also is beautiful and comfortable.