Table of Contents
Wall panels are associated at many with the cheap plastic suitable only for registration of the bathroom, toilet or balcony. Actually it is ideal finishing material absolutely for any kinds of the room. And panels both are suitable for ceiling, and for walls. And ease of mounting allows to run all works as the hands without problems.
Advantages of wall panels
This type of finishing favourably differs from usual options of repair. Only having begun to work with wall panels, you understand as far as they suitably other materials.
Among advantages it is possible to note:
- Design. Panels allow to implement the most fantasy projects. Them it is possible to fix vertically, horizontally and even in the diagonal direction that gives the chance to realize the most interesting designs and drawings. Besides, panels differ in the huge choice of finishings and flowers, allowing to choose unique decisions for different rooms.
- Simplicity of mounting. It is easy to cope with installation of wall panels even the newbie in construction business. Here neither preliminary works, nor special qualification, nor the help of the second person are required. Also it is possible to refer use only of standard set of tools which is available in any house to convenience of mounting.
- Universality. Wall panels make of the most different materials that guarantees availability of the unique characteristics for each look: warm and sound insulation, hygiene, resistance to humidity, etc. It means that at repair of any room it is possible to pick up panels with ideal parameters there.
- Profitability. Low repair cost is determined by the low price of panels and also inexpensive improvised materials and economy at preliminary works which are absent.
- Durability. Wall panels differ in reliability large-scale in use: they are strong, steady against damages and have very low degree of wear over time.
- Easy leaving. At loss of initial exterior of the panel do not need replacement as easily wash normal means.
When choosing wall panels it is very important to know to what requirements there has to correspond finishing material, in hardware stores the huge range of the most different decisions.
Types of wall panels
Usually studying specific variety, pay attention to method of production and the used raw materials. But wall panels differ not only these parameters. First of all there is difference in sizes and forms.
Most often three options meet:
- Sheets, that is wall panels of the big sizes. They differ in the simplest mounting and almost seamless surface. Represent rectangle with the parties 1.22 and 2.44 meters. The thickness of plate can reach 6 mm.
- Tile – wall panels square form with the parties of the 0.3 or 0, 98 meter. Are ideal for mosaic works when from squares drawings on walls are created.
- Type-setting panels. Their form – the extended rectangle, practically strip. Are convenient in mounting. Shops are provided in big variety of the sizes that allows to pick up the most attractive decision on design.
Any of these options can be made about use of the following materials:
- PVC – plastic;
- Natural wood.
Wall plastic panels. The most inexpensive of all options offered in the market. Are ideal for rooms with high humidity. It is necessary to distinguish durability, simplicity of leaving, hygiene, pleasant design from other advantages. Some types of PVC panels are capable to maintain big temperature drops that allows to use them at registration of balconies and for outside finishing work.
Panels from chipboard. They are received pressing of the wood remains (sawdust, shaving) with binding structure. On characteristics such finishing material is very close to natural wood, but badly transfers processing (crumbles) and collapses at excess humidity. It is recommended for finishing of dry rooms.
Fibreboards panels. Also are made by method pressing, but have wood-fiber structure. Have the bigger durability and resistance to humidity, but badly transfer direct hit of water.
Panels from MDF. On structure and method of production remind fibreboard, but have big density, so, are steadier against moisture in all its manifestations. Besides, have excellent sound-proof and heat-insulating properties, are strong and long-lasting.
Panels from natural wood can be separated into two categories conditionally. By production of the first of them such highly esthetic grades of wood – oak, maple, alder or cedar are used. The second option is more economic as at production of panels the layered technology when front layer – valuable breed is used, and lower two – cheaper pine or fir-tree. Are used when finishing any rooms including with the increased humidity. The main condition – processing of panels wax or acrylic lacquer.
High-quality mounting of wall panels will not turn out if beforehand not to buy component parts – the special profiles allowing to issue accurately any room:
- Starting strip – basis into which the panel when mounting is inserted;
- Corner outside – for registration and joining of panels on external corners;
- Corner universal – they can replace outside corner;
- The connecting strip – is used for connection of panels in the plane;
- Wide edging strip – for decorative finishing;
- Corner internal – for registration and joining of panels on angular sites of the room;
- The combined plinth – unites functions of plinth and starting strip;
- Fillets – ceiling plinth.
Also mounting will require load-carrying structures as which use wooden levels or gypsum cardboard. The recommended size of bars from 20х40 mm for walls and from 20х20 mm for ceilings. Between wall and panels sometimes do the insulation course providing additional barrier to noise. One more advantage of isolation – minimization heat waste indoors.
Before works it is worth preparing set of necessary tools:
- Construction level;
- Saw (sharp knife);
- Screw-driver or screw driver;
- Dowel nail;
- Furniture stapler.
Mounting of wall panels
Options of installation of wall panels several, but main difference between them in way of fastening of finishing material to furring.
In this parameter mounting is subdivided on:
The second option is classified depending on type of the used fixing material:
- Self-tapping screws;
- Nails and brackets.
The principle and the sequence of works are approximately identical in all cases.
Mounting of wall panels is conducted in the following order:
- Wall marking. By means of the construction level and pencil guides down are marked.
- Horizontally establish and fasten wooden bars to wall. That further there was no deformation of panels, it is worth maintaining distance between levels no more than 50 cm.
- The insulation course if in it there is need keeps within.
- By means of brackets or small nails guides – below and in that corner from which laying is conducted are established. It is the best of all to install panels from the left corner to right.
- At installation of the first panel it is recommended to cut off narrower groove for more dense installation of material. The panel is inserted into profile of corner and fastens to the horizontal directing bars by means of brackets or small nails. Use of glued joint when mounting is possible.
- Other panels establish by type-setting method, trying to fix densely panels to each other.
- Use of finishing levels is the last stage of mounting allowing to give completeness to interior.
Among all panels only to wooden there are additional requirements for mounting. After delivery of finishing material to the room, it is necessary to allow it “to acclimatize”. It means that the tree has to adapt to humidity and temperature of the room in which works are planned.
Wall panels – the excellent decision for master beginners. At cosmetic and even at major repair this finishing material allows to change easily interior of any room, creating unique and attractive design.