Table of Contents
In this article such type of finishing material as paint on metal for outside works is considered: the main types of structures used in country construction, their pluses and minuses, technical and utilization properties. It is possible to find information which will help with the choice of the best dye and also quotations on demanded products in the text.
Paint on metal for outside works: properties of the existing structures
Coloring of metal goods – the necessary measure allowing to prolong material life cycle and also for a long time to keep its attractive exterior and novelty. This process is followed by some difficulties, and difficulties affect not technology of causing structure, and its choice. Dye has to have necessary set of utilization properties, show resistance to negative impact of external factors and keep the properties throughout the long period of time.
For processing of metal surfaces the following types of dyes are used:
- nitro (aerosol);
Each type of dye has certain advantages and shortcomings, and utilization properties inherent in structure allow to define precisely under what conditions merits of covering will bring the maximum benefit.
Properties of spray paint in barrels on metal
The nitro structure for coloring of metal surfaces is issued producers in the form of aerosol barrels. This type of dye will be ideal for finishing of products of the small size. Because the structure is applied on surfaces with spraying method, the probability of emergence of stains by which use of the roller or brush as the tool usually is followed is excluded.
For cultivation of paint use of chemical solvents of any brands is allowed. To achieve strong gloss, it is necessary to buy paint on metal for outside works with large number in the name. The number is higher, the it is more than gloss. For drawing any tool, including compressor air spray pistol and normal brush can be used. Exception is only rollers with foam rubber fur coats.
Interesting fact! Nitro dye is used as gas station of markers for drawing.
This type of dye is inexpedient to be used for processing of big products. It not only costly on means, but also is followed by large number of shortcomings, than advantages.
Advantages and shortcomings of paints of barrels on metal
Let’s consider shortcomings of the nitro dyes intended for finishing of metal goods:
- low level of adhesion that negatively affects covering life cycles;
- toxic and unpleasant smell, unhealthy person;
- low indicator of resistance to influence of ultraviolet;
- fast burning out of shade in the sun;
- big consumption of paint on metal on m ² the processed area;
- incompatibility with other kinds of dyes.
Owing to the fact that dyes in barrels contain chemical solvents in the structure any kind of covering of other type is corroded when drawing. Besides, availability of similar components becomes source of the toxic and caustic smells harmful to human health. Therefore nitro dyes can be used only in the open air.
Advantages of nitro dyes:
- rather low cost (considerable economy can achieve if to buy paint on metal not in barrel, and in bank);
- simple technology of drawing irrespective of way;
- the covering quickly dries;
- coloring can be carried out even at low temperatures;
- the washing of old paint from metal can be carried out by means of normal solvent.
Properties, advantages and shortcomings of outside paint for metal
Alkyd enamel is intended not only for metal coloring. It is universal and can be used for finishing of other surfaces. The basis of this paint allows to use it in combination with other types of dyes and soil, without being afraid that there will be bad reaction. For cultivation of structure it is possible to use solvent and white spirit. Gasoline use is allowed, but in this case the covering will not be glossy and brilliant.
Shortcomings of finishing material:
- the covering long dries (at the room temperature for this purpose it will be required about day, and in cold time full drying of dye is impossible);
- low adhesive material properties forces to use the corresponding soil;
- poor quality of covering;
- under the influence of ultraviolet there is fast burning out of shade and loss of gloss;
- after full drying the covering can change color.
Pay attention! Adding coloring pigments to structure independently, it is necessary to prepare mix with stock. If there is not enough paint, then it will not turn out to receive the same shade in the second portion.
Advantages of structures:
- quality dye for many years keeps the properties;
- the simple system of drawing allows to carry out coloring by the hands;
- use of rollers with foam rubber fur coats as in structure there are no aggressive solvents which can corrode the tool is allowed;
- extensive choice of flowers and possibility of tinting;
- there is no need for primer use.
As means for removal of paint from metal it is possible to use R-4 solvent. It is necessary to use it very accurately as solution is aggressive and can cause chemical burns.
Properties, advantages and shortcomings of rubber black paint on metal
Rubber paints have been thought up as an alternative to bituminous structures. The unattractiveness of the last has served as the reason for that. Dyes on the basis of natural bituminous pitch create dense and resistant covering on metal surfaces. Similar finishing turns out also when using rubber structures, with the same properties, but already with attractive external characteristics.
On sale not only rubber opaque paint on metal of black color, but also structures of other flowers, for example, red, blue, green meet.
These materials have several important advantages:
- high level of protection against external factors of influence;
- resistance to emergence of mechanical damages;
- if necessary it is possible to get rid of covering easily thanks to use of liquid for removal of paint from metal;
- use as finishing on galvanized surfaces therefore dye is suitable for protection of roof is allowed;
- the structure perfectly lays down on any types of surfaces;
- there is no conflict reaction to other dyes.
Carrying out coloring by means of rubber dye with opaque surface in the open air, surely it is necessary to use protective equipment as mix is toxic. At hit of structure on skin there can be irritation or allergic reaction.
Rubber films have some shortcomings, but they are:
- difficult technology of drawing;
- for coloring of metal surfaces it is possible to use not all ways of drawing;
- it is difficult to receive uniform covering without gleams, but only provided that dye will provide the full-fledged level of protection;
- high cost.
Versions and properties of powder paints on metal
The range of producers allows to buy powder paints for metal of two categories:
- Thermoplastic mixes – in the course of forming of film covering there are no chemical transformations of structure.
- Thermosetting structures – the covering is formed as a result of chemical processes.
Helpful advice! It is better to use thermosetting structures for processing of metal parts of the vehicle as this category of covering is oriented to the motor-car industry.
The price of powder paint on metal varies depending on structure type. This kind of dyes is provided in huge variety.
The category of thermoplastic coverings is provided by polyvinyl chloride (PVC), polyamide and polyolefin (polyethylene, polypropylene) kinds of structures.
The category of thermosetting coverings is provided by the following kinds of structures:
- epoxy and polyester;
Why it is favorable to buy exterior paint on metal of powder type:
- simple system of use and drawing;
- high speed of hardening;
- economic expense (loss of normal dye during operating time sometimes reaches 40% while the powder structure for 98% gets on the processed surface);
- high level of durability of covering;
- environmental friendliness;
- great decorative properties.
Among shortcomings it is possible to note only need for use of separate capacity for every color and also restriction when coloring non-standard objects and surfaces at low temperatures. Removal of covering is mechanically carried out only from tree or plaster. In other cases chemical means are used. It is possible to use washing of paint from Docker S4 metal.
Advantages and shortcomings of hammer paints 3 in 1 for outside works on metal
Dye with hammer effect is considered one of the most long-lasting and resistant coverings. These three-component structures create the specific pattern reminding the forge stamping executed by means of the hammer on the processed surface.
Advantages of hammer dyes:
- there is no need for preliminary careful cleaning or priming of surface;
- high rates of adhesion with metal surfaces;
- resistance to damages of mechanical character;
- invulnerability before influence of moisture, ultra-violet radiation;
- the expressed texture of covering allows to hide roughnesses and defects of metal surfaces;
- wide color range;
- the covering keeps properties for many years;
- there is no need for frequent updating of paint and varnish layer.
Helpful advice! For cultivation of paint it is better to use xylol or chemical solvent. Gasoline use is allowed on condition that the structure belongs to production of the qualitative and reliable manufacturer. Only in this case technical and utilization properties of covering will not suffer.
Covering shortcomings with hammer effect:
- high cost;
- big expense;
- the system of drawing has the certain nuances complicating work with some objects;
- it is extremely difficult to remove old covering.
The choice of the best paint on metal for outside works
From all dyes that have been earlier listed, coverings with hammer effect have the highest rates by the main criteria of quality. On external characteristics the covering has similar lines with rubber dyes as the similar consistence is inherent in both those, and others. However these materials have absolutely different structure, and for their production the different binding component is used.
Only high price belongs to essential minuses of hammer paint. Its use profitable will be only if the surface of the small size will be processed, causing this structure is followed by big expense. If in the financial plan there are no restrictions, then hammer paint can be considered as ideal option for finishing of metal surfaces in the open air.
Important! Hammer paints need to be used in combination with soil of the same brand. On condition of maintenance of this requirement, life cycle of covering will make not less than 20 years.
Comparative characteristic of dyes:
|Resistance to ultraviolet||1||2||2||3||4|
|Resistance to mechanical influence||1||1||2||3||4|
The table demonstrates advantages and shortcomings of different types of dyes on key parameters where 1 – the lowest indicator, and 4 – the highest.
Popular paints on galvanized metal for outside works
Not each type of dye will be suitable for finishing of galvanized metal surface. For this reason there is separate material class, intended for these purposes. And similar paints are produced as in the form of powder which needs cultivation, and in the form of ready mix. The structure which does not demand preliminary preparation is packed up in banks, buckets and aerosol barrels.
Basic coloring are provided by small amount of shades which, as a rule, is among white, silver, black, brown and green. The certain place is allocated to corrosion preventing paint silver steel on metal which price more than is available.
Possibilities of hammer Hammerite paint on metal
Among hammer coverings paints on Hammerite metal from Akzo Nobel producer which offers buyers the mass of advantages enjoy special popularity:
- protection of metal surfaces against corrosion damage both indoors, and outside;
- effective exterior is provided due to the unusual texture and various color gamma including standard and exclusive shades;
- high level of adhesion even over rust and maintaining attractive exterior for at least 8 years;
- temperature range of operation around from-20 to +85 °C.
On condition of short influence of high temperature, the covering will keep the attractiveness (up to +150 °C). For at least 5 years in finishing there will be no changes of shade under the influence of UF. These and other numerous advantages have provided to Hammerite paint such popularity in the market.
The modern range of paints and varnishes offers hundreds of options of high-quality finishing. At the same time there is no universal structure. When choosing finishing first of all it is necessary to be guided by type of material of the processed surface, the budgetary opportunities and advantages which dye can offer.