Table of Contents
In this article such demanded type of finishing material as paint on tree for outside works is considered. In the text it is possible to study the overview of the main categories of the dyes used for dressing and protection of facades from tree and other objects operated in street conditions. Let’s consider properties and characteristics of alkyd, acrylic, oil and water emulsion structures and also the description of popular brands.
Paint on tree for outside works and its types
Wood as construction material is capable to offer the mass of advantages. It is budget, available, eco-friendly and easily gives in to different types of processing. Though this material has also shortcomings, the most powerful of them is vulnerability to the atmospheric phenomena. Therefore dyes as finishing are used not only for dressing of elements from tree, but also for their protection.
If dye is picked up correctly, life cycle of construction material raises
also protection against influence of moisture, biological wreckers and ultraviolet rays which perniciously affect wood is provided.
The modern market allows consumers to buy paints for wooden fence of the following types:
- latex structures;
- mixes on the basis of acrylic;
- dyes with addition of oils;
- alkyd structures;
- aqueous emulsion masonry paints.
Practically all paint and varnish structures have similar parameters which are caused by the general function of these materials – protection of wooden surface. Distinctions consist only in structure and some properties and also decorative effect.
Helpful advice! Before buying dye, it is recommended to study information offered by the producer which discloses properties of product, its technical and utilization properties, opportunities, features and structure previously.
Properties of latex paints for outside woodworks
Latex or silicone dyes are not in great demand because of high cost. Properties of this covering will be useful for finishing of the objects operated in humid climate. The main component of such structures are silicone pitches.
Dyes for wood on latex basis have the following features:
- the high strength characteristics of covering providing protection even at single-layer drawing;
- resistance to aggressive influence of reagents (for cleaning of the surface opened with latex dye it is possible to use not only water, but also alkaline solutions, without being afraid that the covering will become covered by spots, will receive injuries or will lose brightness of color);
- inertness concerning ultra-violet radiation (thanks to this parameter the covering is not exposed to burning out throughout long time and does not need frequent updating).
Latex dyes are characterized the moisture raised by resistance to influence. Material well reacts to mechanical loadings in the form of friction and throughout long time keeps integrity. Unlike the analogs, in the form of acrylic paints on tree for outside works, structures on silicone basis are less vulnerable to high temperatures and offer higher rate of steam permeability. Silicone structures can be put over other paint coats.
Properties of oil dyes for finishing of facade
Oil dyes are characterized by low cost. Most often the drying oil representing environmentally friendly substance acts as the main component of structure.
The released such plants oil is applied to production of drying oil:
In addition to environmental friendliness, this paint can offer not so many advantages therefore it is not so demanded as other types of coverings.
Shortcomings of oil-based dyes:
- pungent unpleasant smell which remains throughout all time of drying;
- the covering quickly burns out under direct beams of the sun;
- rather long dries (minimum – 12 h);
- the small term of operational service – 3 years;
- low steam permeability.
Important! It is strictly forbidden to cause oil structures over aqueous emulsion ink for outside works. For this purpose preliminary removal of old paint and varnish layer will be required.
Properties of acrylic masonry paints for outside works
Acrylic dyes – the most widespread and popular group of the structures used for finishing of facades of buildings and other objects.
Properties of dyes on acrylic basis:
- the structure creates protective film on the processed surface;
- finishing has large-scale of protection against seasonal influences and atmospheric factors;
- high resistance on wear;
- the surface has good steam permeability;
- the covering quickly dries;
- the structure has no unpleasant smell;
- the high adhesion is inherent to finishing;
- structures can be tinted independently in any shades.
- long life cycle – up to 20 years.
Consumers can buy acrylic paint for tree of two types:
- Water and disperse.
- On the basis of solvent.
Acrylic dyes for facade on the basis of solvents have also other additives. As a part of such mixes there are weatherproof substances, filters for ultraviolet and organic soluble pitch. All these components provide long absence of cracks, burning out and damages from moisture. At the same time the covering has the breathing surface. Besides, material is protected from negative impact of temperature differences.
Some trademarks offer acrylic structures on the basis of solvent with special characteristics. For example, dye can be applied on wood even at low temperature. Coloring when on the street to -20 °C is allowed.
Dyes on water and disperse basis consist of fillers and polymers. In some cases structures meet addition in the form of marble crumb.
Properties of alkyd paints for tree for outside works
Alkyd dyes in basis have pitches. As addition at structure there are also oils. Advantage of these materials is fast drying. Thanks to it on freshly painted wood dust and garbage will not manage to stick, and sudden loss of rainfall will not spoil result.
Water-repellent properties are inherent in alkyd structures. The processed wood receives full protection against liquid therefore these dyes are recommended to be used for finishing of the buildings which are in regions with the increased humidity. The same concerns the constructions located near open reservoirs. The expense of masonry paint on 1 m² makes 100-120 g.
This type of structures is not capable to get into structure of material, paint presence is only superficial. Therefore it is impossible to tell that the tree is fully protected from any influence. In the course of coloring on surface the strong film in the form of membrane is formed. But it does not pass air at all. And producers lower this moment.
Important! Paint on alkyd basis cannot be applied on fresh wood. Material before processing should be dried carefully. Otherwise the surface of covering will become covered by bubbles then it will begin to exfoliate and be shelled before term.
Alkyd paints in many respects lose to acrylic structures. Glossy gloss on covering remains not long. Gradually on surface the opaque effect appears. Under the influence of ultraviolet there is quite fast burning out of shade. Life cycle is also not long.
Advantages and shortcomings of aqueous emulsion inks for tree for outside works
Water emulsion dyes are provided on sale by structures of acrylic, silicate, silicone type and also mineral emulsion mixes. Therefore the price of front aqueous emulsion ink for outside works varies with the broad range.
Advantages of water emulsion finishing materials:
- high flow capacity;
- absence as a part of toxic substances;
- big palette of shades;
- the most primitive tools will be suitable for coloring;
- the painted surfaces are not afraid of the chemical means applied to cleaning therefore it is possible to cope with removal of spots easily;
- if dye has got on skin or on other objects, it can be removed by means of water and soap;
- the covering is elastic and is not subject to cracks;
- long term of operational service.
There is not a lot of shortcomings. First, the covering is more vulnerable to moisture influence, than other structures. Secondly, dyes contain water therefore wood after processing can inflate. That to avoid it, it is recommended to use protective equipment in addition. Therefore whether the question can be painted with aqueous emulsion ink the tree without pretreatment disappears.
Characteristics and features of dyes of popular trademarks
That the result of coloring has turned out qualitative, the surface of wood has to be dry and clean. It is necessary to take care that on material there were no pollution and greasy spots. The preliminary preparation designed to increase quality of paintings includes causing the grounding structure or oil. The mix consisting of mordant and putty also will be suitable for these purposes.
Preliminary surface preparation will allow:
- to close up all cracks and time on the basis;
- to increase resistance to loadings of mechanical property;
- to improve decorative qualities of covering.
Helpful advice! Processing of surface by means of antiseptic will exclude development probability in wood of mold and fungal dispute.
Important condition of receiving qualitative and long-lasting covering also is detailed acquaintance with the recommendations of the producer for thickness of layer, technology of drawing and time of drying.
Features of masonry paints of Tikkurila
Among the Finnish paints on tree for outside works products of the Tikkurila company occupy one of the leading positions. The most popular structures of this producer are materials on silicone basis.
These dyes have set of advantages:
- absolute safety for the environment and human health;
- thanks to environmental friendliness structures do not cause allergic reactions therefore their use for finishing of child care facilities (street designs) is allowed;
- the high vapor permeability preventing moisture accumulation;
- long life cycle;
- the lack of reaction to ultraviolet, pigment very long keeps brightness and saturation;
- invulnerability before mechanical loadings.
The covering is allocated with ability to self-cleaning. During loss of rainfall liquid washes away dirt from surface. The dye consumption at single-layer drawing makes 1 l on 14 m ².
Properties and specifics of masonry paint of Caparol
Despite the high cost, Caparol dyes are widely known and very demanded in the market. Products offer consumers a number of favorable advantages which completely justify the high price of structures.
All front types of finishing materials differ in ecological purity. For this reason it is possible not to worry about negative impact on people, animals or the environment. Products are marked by the “Blue angel” confirming successful passing of check through the system of the department responsible for control of condition of ecology. For processing of wood the azures diluted by water are most often used.
The azure is suitable for finishing of the following objects:
- window and door assemblies;
- upholsteries interline interval or groove;
- gate and sun blind;
- framework structures;
- sheathing boards;
- barriers and handrail on balconies;
- shuttering designs;
- pergolas and batten roofs;
- panel board parts as which material for production the scaleboard or bar has served.
Interesting fact! Normal enamels with similar properties contain about 50% of solvents. Dispersive structures for Caparol facades most often do not contain such substances or their quantity does not exceed 2%.
Properties of Caparol dyes:
- resistance to wind loads and impact of rainfall;
- ability to keep the qualities even under influence of ultraviolet;
- reliable protection of wood against moisture influence;
- high flow capacity.
Technical characteristics of perchlorvinyl masonry paint
Perchlorvinyl structures are characterized by the saturation and brightness of flowers, rather small time of drying, excellent adhesive properties, as has made them such popular.
Before coloring it is recommended to prepare surface carefully: to plaster and level, be convinced of lack of cracks and chips, to clean the basis and to dry up.
Perchlorvinyl structures cannot be applied on basis over the following types of coverings:
All these materials need to be removed from surface before to start its coloring.
On it the list of demanded dyes for protective processing of wooden surfaces does not come to an end. Wide choice of producers and the considerable specific variety allowing to pick up finishing material under any requests of buyers and the requirement of surface is presented at the market.