Table of Contents
Plastic windows in consciousness of the majority are associated with heat and comfort. It is difficult to argue with it, qualitative window systems provide good heat-shielding and sealing of the room. At construction of the new building or in the course of repair owners of housing most often elect them. The price of window systems includes also the cost of their mounting therefore to save the decent sum enough to establish design independently. Process of installation will not demand the specific equipment and special skills. Almost each house master who has attentively studied mounting instructions will cope with it.
Measurements in due form
Competently carried out measurements – guarantee that window designs well will rise into place and will faultlessly serve the owner. Before works it is necessary to decide on external and interior finish that precisely the nobility, will be made out how exactly window. Nuances of finishing directly influence the sizes of outside ebb, width of plastic slopes and elbow boards. In practice most often it is necessary to face window design in the form of rectangle. To receive the necessary sizes, it is necessary to perform the following operations:
- We measure aperture width.
- We define overall width of window. For this purpose from the received size we take away the size of mounting gap increased by two. The average gap is equal to 20-30 mm, deviations in any party are undesirable. If the gap is more, polyurethane foam can just not keep in seam. At small distance the extended foam inevitably will spoil box surface.
- We measure aperture height.
- We determine overall height. We arrive as well as with design width, that is we take away two mounting gaps from the received size. If the stand profile from below is attached to window frame, its height needs to be considered. In this case the overall height of window will equal to height of aperture minus mounting gap.
- We carry out control measurements which are necessary for specification of measurements. As ideally rectangular apertures in the nature do not exist, we choose three check points, in the center and at the edges of design, and we carry out measurements. We compare results to earlier received sizes and if necessary we introduce amendments, choosing the smallest of the received values. Otherwise the window case just will not be located in aperture.
- We measure thickness of walls.
- We define location of design. Specialists recommend to establish construction at distance no more than two thirds of width of wall of the inner edge of aperture. If to displace the plane towards the street, heat insulation will suffer, but sound insulation will be improved. At design shift towards the room everything occurs on the contrary: protection against noise worsens, but heat insulation raises.
- We measure length of outside outflow. Part length without end plugs is equal to the sum of the received size and allowance for edge bends which is equal to 50 mm. If the element is carried out without stubs, from the size received at measurement 20 mm are taken away.
- We measure outflow width. Width of ready part will be equal to the received size plus 30-40 mm. Professionals recommend to carry out element precisely on measurements, without excessive “stock”. Otherwise the acting plane will spoil exterior of the building. However if to make part too short, on wall drips can appear.
- We carry out measurements of length of window sill. It should not match aperture width. The part will be wider at size of the right and left calling on wall which are necessary for full subsequent finishing of design.
- We measure elbow board width. For this purpose to distance from the plane of future window to edge of wall we add desirable “departure” of window sill and we take away profile box width. At measurement we consider that width of walls of window opening can be different, also thickness of future plaster coat on wall has to be taken into account. The carrying out of board of window sill should not be done too long, hindrances for circulation of warm air from radiator will be created differently. Such length when the window sill closes no more than 1/3 heating appliances is considered optimum. For the radiators drowned in wall it is necessary to provide the special ventilating grates crashing into front part of part.
- If installation of plastic slopes is supposed, we determine their length. It is calculated on the basis of the window aperture sizes. Width of the panel will be equal to width of aperture plus allowance for adjustment which size of 30 mm. Length of the panel is the difference between the maximum height of aperture and gap for mounting, equal 20 mm.
We choose way of fastening
After all measurements are already received, it is possible to order window from the producer. It is worth consulting with the representative of the company concerning configuration of design, the choice of accessories and possible adjustment of the sizes. It is very important to choose the system of fastening correctly. It is possible to consider two options:
- Mounting by means of the basic fittings installed on frame on production. Easier way excluding possibility of damage of double-glazed windows and violation of tightness of window as it is not required to sort design. However the weight of such construction is much more, to establish it alone it will not turn out.
- Fastening through frame. During installation it is necessary to dismantle completely oar shutters and to remove double-glazed windows from deaf shutters. Thus the risk of damage of design increases.
Dismantling of old design
It is the “dirtiest” stage of work. It is the best of all to prepare big plastic packages in which the garbage will gather and to curtain doors of sheets, it is possible wet that construction dust did not fly to other rooms. Begin dismantling with shutters. Depending on the future of old window, they or are pulled out with the screws holding design, or accurately removed from canopies. The window case and frame is filed in different places. Then the short scrow-bar or nail-catcher hook each element and is removed from aperture. That work went easier, previously take out the two-hundredth nails holding box.
Directly under design there is heater and sealant. All this also cleans up. Depending on plans for registration of slopes old parts are in whole or in part dismantled. The perforator with blade is for this purpose used. It after have removed window sill, the substrate from cement under window sill and on the lower site of window opening is removed. All garbage gathers in the prepared packages and is taken out from the apartment. Edge parts of window opening are leveled and carefully smoothed out from dirt and dust. The following stage of works – priming of surface. If it is going to establish design in wooden house, it is necessary to lay in addition on aperture perimeter waterproofing layer. It will not allow moisture to get from tree into layer from polyurethane foam and to destroy it.
Preparation of window profile
Specialists recommend to fill in a day before the beginning of mounting of windows with foam internal space of stand profile. Per day foam will manage to fill space, the system will be ready to harden also to installation. Need of this action is explained by the fact that in the place of fixing of stand profile to window frame the heat bridge which will seriously break design heat insulation can be formed. To exclude possibility of its emergence profile to fill in with foam.
Depending on way of fastening of window design preparation of profile happens differently. If mounting by means of basic armature is supposed, preparatory activities come down to installation of the fastenings going complete with window. Parts by means of screws reliably are fixed on window frame.
Fastening through frame assumes full dismantling of new design. It is necessary to begin with double-glazed window.
Chisel carefully we hook the fillet holding system and easy blow to the tool we pull out it from groove. Vertical fillets are taken out the first, afterwards – horizontal. Parts should be marked afterwards to establish them on the place, differently undesirable gaps can appear. The window frame without fillets slightly bends forward so that the double-glazed window has independently slipped out grooves.
The following stage – dismantling of oar shutters. From them decorative stubs clean up, then clamping bolts are turned off. If at design there is leaning-back shutter, the handle at the shutter opened in the provision “airing” is set to central position and we remove hook from the lower canopy. There is frame with imposts. In it openings under fixture are from the inside carried out. They are located on all perimeter of design. It is recommended to establish at least three fixing points in side parts and on two on upper and on the lower plane. For drilling tools on metal as in profile the metal insert is located are chosen.
Installation and fixing of window system
Mounting of new window is carried out in several steps:
- We stack special substrates. Elements represent special plastic elements or normal wooden bars. They are selected so that upper parts of parts were on one line. Substrates are put under edges of frame, under the central rack or, at its absence, in the middle.
- We establish window design. It is necessary to consider that substrates will not clean up. They are intended for fastening strengthening as anchor, even fixed rather often, will not be able long to keep system weight. With the same purpose we fix frame on each side. For this purpose we hammer pegs between it and wall. Not to bend design, we do it in upper part of frame.
- We check horizontal position of installation of window. We carry out operation with the help of water level. The bubble kind of the tool has considerable error therefore it is better not to use it. If the bias is revealed, we eliminate it by means of additional substrates.
- We level window down. For measurements it is better to use not the bubble level, but plumb. If necessary we remove bias by means of the pegs hammered between frame and wall.
- If fastening through frame is supposed, we establish anchor. For them we drill slots through the openings prepared in frame. We begin to fix design from the lower part of frame. We insert into it anchor and we tighten them, but not up to the end. We check vertical position of construction and after that we prepare openings in middle and upper part of frame. We double-check level, if necessary we adjust design. If everything is all right, finally we delay fastenings. You should not put excessive efforts, otherwise it is possible to deform frame.
- In case of installation by means of basic armature we arrive a little differently. At first we unbend plates with reinforcement openings so that they adjoined to wall. Then as well as in the previous option, we drill openings under anchor. Further we fix the lower part, we verify level and we fix the middle and top of design.
- We establish water outflow. The part is established in the special groove located on outer edge of window. In certain cases it should be fixed by screws in addition. After installation the water outflow is filled in with foam.
Installation of window comes to end. At this stage it is necessary to collect design if earlier it dismantling has been carried out. Process is carried out in the return to dismantling order. We insert double-glazed windows into frame. They are fixed at first by horizontally located fillets, then vertical. Elements will be easy to be latched on site by means of rubber hammer with which it is necessary to tap carefully on parts. At completely collected window finally verify the level of installation and check the course of oar shutter. It is considered normal if in position “is opened” on 45 ° and 90 ° the window shutter does not move and has no opportunity to be closed or open independently.
Sealing of gaps
It is difficult to revaluate importance of this stage of installation. As the main filler polyurethane foam is traditionally applied to gaps. Material has good utilization properties, but in long direct contact with moisture and sunlight they are lost, and foam begins to collapse. That to prevent it, it is necessary to carry out qualitative waterproofing of design. From the inside of window on perimeter, excepting the lower part, the hydra and the vapor barrier tape intended especially for plastic products is glued. In the lower part the strip protecting from moisture with the foiled surface is pasted.
From outer side the vapor-permeable waterproofing tape which will protect foam from humidity is pasted and at the same time will provide removal of excessive moisture from heater. Protective strips are a little unbent, surfaces are slightly moistened with water, and the gap is carefully filled in with all-weather foam from mounting gun. On the end of operation by means of the sprayer slightly we moisten foam with water that accelerates polymerization process. Then we put on window perimeter from internal and outer side insulating tape.
We mount window sill
The plate for window sill before installation needs to be cut out. We carry out necessary undercuttings so that the board has entered aperture, has promoted under frame and has rested against lining profile. At the same time at carrying out of design there has to be “calling” on walls about 50-100 mm. We begin to level window sill level, it has to have very insignificant bias towards the room. We try to obtain necessary level by means of the pegs enclosed under system.
After the necessary bias is received, under it we fill space with solution or we blow foam. From the inside of window frame in the middle and at the edges of design we fasten self-tapping screws of 4х75 mm by which the window sill will be attached to part. We close end faces of plastic window sill decorative stubs and we remove from it protective film. To prevent excessive expansion of polyurethane foam specialists recommend to press plate something heavy. It can be bricks, books, etc.
In a day, after foam will finally dry out and will harden, it will be possible to start further works. First of all it is necessary to open shutters and to check work of accessories. It is possible that it is required to carry out some adjustments concerning sealant and ease of work of system. Here instructions which the producer of windows gives will be useful. After all adjustments it is possible to start finishing of slopes.
We accept the described method of installation of plastic windows not only for the designs established in residential buildings. By the same principle also windows on loggia are mounted. The difference is that it is necessary to strengthen in addition parapet on which all window system will lean. Also some distinctions will be present also at preparation of apertures. For the rest installation will similarly take place.
Independent mounting of plastic windows – quite feasible much action. It is very important to be prepared for it correctly. It is necessary to study attentively installation instructions, to strictly observe recommendations and to use only quality materials. Then competently established plastic window which faultlessly will serve for many years will become result of the spent efforts.