Table of Contents
Mounting of plinth is a completing chord of repair work, but to relax early. It seems, there is nothing difficult in issuing position of joints of floor and wall ornamental strip, but the general perception room interior depends on quality of the held events. Selection of plinths became the real science to which not only builders, but also designers pay attention. The wide choice of materials and coloring allows to implement the most various projects, to select the most optimum finishing for bathrooms, kitchen rooms, nurseries, living rooms and halls.
Plinth role under repair and interior
Builders consider plinth only in terms of its functionality – how qualitatively it closes small defect of the laid floor and lower part of walls. Besides, the way of fastening of level – to floor or to wall is taken into account. Such approach allows to avoid damages of especially fragile finishing materials when mounting: for example, tile.
Designers pay attention absolutely to another. It is important to them to estimate compatibility of plinths with walls and floor, both in respect of finishing, and at selection of shades. Usually creators of interiors try to follow the following rules:
- Traditionally the plinth is selected under shade of floor covering. But there are exceptions when finishing is combined on color with walls or with tone of platbands of interroom doors.
- The plinth in color of furniture is selected in exceptional cases when in interior bichromatic registration prevails.
- White or contrast color plinth is innovative approach. It is used at careful selection of the combined shades in interior.
- With high ceilings it is worth giving preference in rooms to plinths width slightly more than standard.
- Thin levels well look in small rooms.
As for materials of which are made plinth then the choice differs in variety. It is possible to ought finishing from:
- Interline interval;
Wooden plinth: properties and features of mounting
When finishing floor the normal wooden board is used or the parquet, the best decision, than plinth from wood array is laid, not to find. Among configurations of level four options are usually offered:
- Rectangular cross section – now are practically not used because of the big sizes and unattractive design.
- Triangular section when the outer side has processing by shaped mill. Height of plinth does not exceed 60 mm, and the “lower” part is carried out about 25 mm wide.
- The europlinth – in form is approximate to rectangle with the rounded upper part. Differs in small thickness (up to 16 mm) and big variability on height – up to 80 mm.
- The national teams of plinth with internal groove for laying of wires.
For production of wooden plinths the pine or fir-tree is traditionally used. Less often decisions from linden, oak, cherry and ash-tree meet. If desired it is possible to find finishing practically from any kind of wood including from exotic grades.
Among advantages of wooden plinths It should be noted:
- Environmental friendliness;
- High strength;
- Excellent compatibility with all types of wooden floors and also with the coverings imitating tree.
Distinguish from shortcomings:
- High cost;
- Dependence on differences of humidity indoors;
- Complexity in selection of exact shade.
For the solution of the last question professional builders recommend to use small cunning. Really, the tree changes the shade at any even to the most neutral processing. Therefore upon purchase it is possible to ask sellers to carry out on the raw surface of plinth by wet sponge – the received tone will be the closest to that result which will turn out after putting wax or varnish.
Mounting of wooden plinth has the features. Among ways of fastening by the best the method on liquid nails is considered or glue that allows to keep high esthetic rates of wooden plinth. The main difficulty when laying wooden levels is connection of strips in corners of rooms.
It is possible to adhere to the following scheme of mounting:
- Apply plinth to wall, one end having placed precisely in corner.
- Draw marking line on floor.
- Cut off plinth strictly longwise of wall.
- Apply the cut-off piece in wall and make marking for creation of angle joint. For this purpose draw line which, having passed through upper part of level, will connect corner of wall and the marking line on floor.
- Make cut. In relation to floor it has to make corner in 45 degrees.
- Do similar operations in other corners.
At accurate approach after final mounting of traces of joints it will not be noticeable even.
Plinth from interline interval and MDF: inexpensive analog of tree
Plinth made of MDF often carry in one group, but after all the technology of their production has certain differences. Levels from interline interval are made from wood array, as well as the previous look, but as basis cheap grades of trees undertake. And here for external finishing there is interline interval from more expensive types. Respectable exterior of product at quite affordable price turns out.
Plinth from MDF produce by similar method: basis – MDF, top layer – the laminated paper. The price becomes even less, and here the esthetics remains also at the high level.
Both types of plinth are recommended for registration of the wooden, laminated and parquet floors. Among advantages of finishing of this type It should be noted:
- Color uniform and rich with shades;
- Resistance to scratches and blows;
- Smaller dependence on differences of humidity;
- Affordable price;
- Resistance to pollution;
- Anti-static character;
- Good hygienic characteristics.
It is necessary to distinguish gradual change of color from shortcomings of such plinth over time that is characteristic of all representatives of species of woods. The fragility is typical for MDF that it demands care with products at installation.
Mounting of plinths is usually conducted by means of glue or by means of special brackets. Executed in the form of hooks, they densely hold the plinth laid along walls. Such fastening is convenient for the subsequent dismantling as allows to remove accurately finishing level, and then to establish it repeatedly. Apply the plastic elements which are picked up at color to registration of the ends and angle joints: stubs and “corners”.
Plastic plinth: for every taste, color and purse
It is considered that plastic plinth are universal. But if in the house floors from natural wood are laid, plastic as finishing looks very cheap. It “destroys” all esthetics and harmony of wood material. And here with carpet, laminate and even with tile of such “conflict” it is not observed.
Builders note unconditional convenience of plastic plinths. First, most of them has plastic edges that allows to hide minor defects of surface of floor and to smooth roughness of walls. Secondly, only plastic plinth are issued with groove for laying of carpet. It allows to carry out floor works accurately even to newbies in construction business.
Except the specified advantages of plastics pleases with the following characteristics:
- Wide choice of shades and flowers and also drawings imitations of different materials;
- The increased flexibility;
- Moisture resistance;
- Low cost;
- Practically the groove under wires and cable communications is provided in all models;
- Simple mounting.
Unfortunately, plastic plinths have negative sides too:
- Low durability;
- Need of additional fastening when mounting:
- Not always there is opportunity to pick up accessories in tone;
- Lower life cycle, than at wooden analogs.
It is recommended to install plastic plinths to wall on self-tapping screws especially as the product design allows to hide fastening elements further.
Ceramic plinth: solidly and conveniently
Long time the ceramic tile was made out of initial material that turned out is very labor-consuming and is not always esthetic. Emergence of ceramic plinths has completely changed situation. Now they are used not only when finishing bathrooms and bathrooms and at frame of flights of stairs, halls, corridors, entrance zones – everywhere where properties of ceramics are demanded most of all.
Advantages at plinths are similar to properties of any ceramics:
- Their structure does not depend on differences of humidity and temperature;
- They differ in good strength indices and hardness;
- Are not deformed in the course of use;
- Do not fade;
- Are long-lasting.
To shortcomings it is possible to refer instability to shock loads and cost.
Mounting of ceramic plinths – comfortable occupation if, of course, you is able to work with glue solutions. Toothed mix is applied on inside face of plinth with spatula, then laying of product on the place intended to it is carried out. By means of level and rubber mall the plinth is set to optimum position concerning wall and floor.
As for angular sites, all necessary accessories are usually applied to plinths. If is not present, then it is necessary to cut plinth, observing corner in 45 degrees, for receiving equal angle joint.
Metal plinth – the most long-lasting option
For the first time advantages of metal plinths have evaluated in office rooms. Similar elements are inexpensive, they perfectly look in combination with tile, but also, are ideal for making of large number of wires of the most different diameter.
Then metal plinth have interested adherents of style hi-tech, and still later they have gained almost universal distribution. For users there were attractive following properties of finishing of this type:
- Simplicity of installation;
- Possibility of mounting of sockets;
- Thanks to decorative films, diverse selection of shades and drawings;
- Availability cable channel with good capacity – to six wires.
But there are also shortcomings:
- High price;
- Bad compatibility with many floor coverings;
- Complexity of selection of coloring.
What plinth is better?
The uniform answer to the matter does not exist – each user has preferences. It is important to someone to reduce as much as possible repair cost, another aims at qualitative decisions, and the most esthetic combinations interest the third.
Features and characteristics of plinths of the most different types will allow to make right choice and to finish repair with ideal combination of all decorative elements.