Table of Contents
From this article it is possible to learn about all features which are possessed by the textured paint for walls used in modern interiors: properties of finishing material, its merits and demerits, versions, popular effects which can be created by means of the painting structure, quotation. Process of preparation of walls and detailed technology of putting textured paint, including photo and video materials will be considered.
Textured paint for walls as finishing material
Textured or textural paint for walls can be carried to one of kinds of decorative finishing thanks to which it is possible to create beautiful relief patterns on the processed surfaces. It has become possible due to special composition and density of material. The painting structure can have creamy consistence, or represent the dense viscous weight made using acrylic components.
To some extent textured paint can replace with itself paint coat and finishing plaster. At the same time there is no need to carefully level and plaster surface. It is enough to execute putty of walls under painting in zones where there are big cracks and deep holes, and then to put covering in the form of acrylic impregnation.
Pay attention! The painting giving to surfaces the textured effect can be used not only as decorative finishing. This material perfectly hides small defects on walls which normal paint or wall-paper cannot disguise.
Kinds of decorative paints for walls in the apartment
Structural dyes are provided on sale by two options:
- Liquid – structures are completely ready to application. They already have necessary shade therefore need for use of color disappears.
- Dry – the second name of these structures sounds as decorative plaster. This type of dye gets divorced water where dye for giving of necessary shade is added.
The acrylic latex used in the course of production of textured paints during evaporation and absorption of water is exposed to polymerization. At the expense of it duration of drying-out of dye is only 1-2 hours. As a result of material use in pure form on surface the layer of finishing 0.2-2 mm thick is formed. If to add additional components to dye such as sawdust, sand and other materials, it is possible to increase layer thickness to 0.7-1 cm.
When using additional components the structure can be applied as plaster to alignment of small damages on walls (up to 2 mm in depth). Because water solution of acrylic gets deep in the processed surface which can be made of concrete, brick and is covered with plaster, adhesive properties of such paint can be compared to opportunities of the majority of cement slurries.
After polymerization process is fully completed, the surface of acrylic material gains waterproof properties. For this reason many textured dyes are suitable not only for internal, but also for external finishing.
Pay attention! Textured decorative paint for interior finish of walls can be used safely for registration of design of the bathroom or kitchen where the level of air humidity is increased. After the structure dries, surfaces will be reliably mildew-resistant also moisture.
Types of fillers as a part of structural paint for walls
The density and relief is provided at the expense of particles which are included in composition of dye.
Textured finishing materials are also classified by type of fillers as which can act:
- gas-silicate in the crushed look;
- marble or granite crumb;
- the metal particles possessing light-reflective surface;
- quartz sand;
- fibers of natural or synthetic origin;
Also in structure there can be modified starch as thickener and special pigments thanks to which it is possible to receive paint for silk effect walls or nacreous covering. Most often similar particles have the form in the form of drops or scales.
The relief of dye and depth of its structure depends on filler particle size:
- Fine-grained dyes – are created on the basis of filler particles by diameter which is not exceeding 0.5 mm.
- Medium-grained structures – include particles of 0.5-1 mm in size.
- Coarse-grained dyes – contain in structure fractions with a diameter of 1-2 mm.
Before buying graphite paint for walls or other option of dye, it is necessary to study the recommendations of the producer for application. As basis for putting dye plaster, wood, brick laying or stone, concrete surface can be used.
Shortcomings of interior paints for walls and ceilings
The main distinctive feature of textured dyes from the structures forming smooth surface consists in decorative effect. By means of structural paints it is possible to achieve surprising effects.
On sale the options imitating different types of natural surfaces and materials meet:
Pay attention! The consumption of material makes about 1 kg/m ². Before making purchase, it is worth counting in advance the budget as the total cost of finishing can be very high, the price of decorative paint for walls, especially with unusual effects is much higher, than at wall-paper or standard dyes.
In spite of the fact that painting can be carried out over finishing putty, panels from tree, chipboard, glass, plywood, metal and gypsum plasterboards, the basis all the same demands preparation. The qualitative result is possible only provided that basis surface equal and clean. Besides certain skills for creation of creative design can be required. On it shortcomings of finishing come to an end.
Advantages of interior paints to walls and ceilings
Advantages of finishing in the form of decorative paint:
- long life cycle – average value is equal to 10 years, at the same time qualitative wall-paper is capable to serve about 5 years;
- possibility of updating of covering due to drawing new coat of paint without the need for preliminary removal;
- environmental friendliness and safety;
- resistance to mechanical influence and influence of sunshine. The surface does not provoke development of mold;
- possibility of creation of monolithic covering;
- the simple system of leaving at the expense of the washing surface. At the same time paint well pushes away pollution. Especially modern this advantage to corners and zones around switches;
- the choice of design decisions, shades and invoices will not force the buyer to think of how to gain unusual effect. Even the most experienced will find suitable options for the house;
- material gives full freedom concerning experiments. It is possible to choose different shades or reliefs. Putting textured paint is carried out by layers by means of special rollers or palettes. The choice of the tool depends on what effect needs to be gained;
- the universality of paint allows to use it for finishing of walls of the living room, kitchen, nurseries, bathrooms;
- rich exterior;
- unique impressive pattern;
- the decorative coat has antistatic properties thanks to which dust makes a start from surface;
- the good vapor permeability of covering which is not creating obstacles for movement of air masses indoors.
How to execute coloring of walls in the apartment textured paint: interesting options of design
As a result of coloring of walls textured paint there is opportunity to create refined and unique interior. Each painting structure has the granularity. The more deeply and more expressively there has to be invoice, the big granularity of filler should be selected. This indicator is specified the producer on packaging.
Helpful advice! Before starting direct putting paint, it is better to be trained on the small site of wall or piece of plywood. If as basis for test the wall is used, the layer of the painting structure put during the training should be removed after the termination by means of the steel palette. Then the wall surface should be dried and covered with priming structure.
What paint to draw on walls: choice of optimum dye
The most important criterion for selection of impressive covering for walls is the dye basis. Taking into account this parameter allocate several kinds of finishing materials for creation of textures.
Silicone paint – the most widespread type of dye intended for outside and internal works. Material allows to create the vapor-tight covering showing resistance to influence of negative environmental factors (aggressive outside influence, moisture, temperature differences).
Mineral dye – the cheapest option of finishing in the form of dry powder. As a part of material there is lime and cement. Most often dye is applied to finishing of external walls of construction.
The silicate structure – is considered the most expensive option, at the same time it is practical in use. The covering is not afraid of external influences at all, differs in simplicity in leaving and perfectly pushes away dust particles and dirt. Material shall be used with the primer having similar basis.
Acrylic paint – is delivered in finished form therefore it is very convenient to use it. Addition of fillers and also colors, necessary for creation of certain effect, for correction of color is allowed.
Standard invoices of decorative paint for walls: features of structures
There are several basic invoices which can be received by means of textural paint.
The relief invoice – forming of similar covering is carried out at the expense of special fillers as a part of dye. The technology of drawing is very simple therefore the person who does not have experience is even capable to cope with work.
Mizuri – for creation of this kind of covering will be required large number of efforts. The textured paint made on acrylic basis with addition of the modified starch is for this purpose necessary. By means of this structure it is possible to create not only textural, but also plain surface.
The Marseilles wax – finishing turns out refined and stylish, however its creation will require professional knowledge and abilities. By means of material it is possible to execute realistic imitation of pith covering, wood bark or the made old stone. To receive deep saturated color, finishing becomes covered with special decorative wax. Material is suitable both for internal, and for external walls. It can be applied in bathrooms and living rooms and also in rooms of office assignment, restaurants, pools.
Atacama – special way of drawing the painting structure. The surface gains fascinating light-reflective effect if to add quartz sand of necessary fraction and metal pigments to basis. In fact, something turns out like the paint for walls with effect of velvet having flickering and soft surface.
Helpful advice! The best result of imposing of paint turns out when both the basis, and structure have room temperature.
Unusual effects of textured paint for walls: features of structures
There are special types of paints which have unusual design effect, creating on surface refined invoices. Very effectively look on paint photo for silk effect walls or nacre. The similar type of finishing fills room space with light. This advantage is especially relevant for the winter and autumn periods when behind windows there is cloudy weather.
Depending on lighting type and also viewing angle the nacreous or silk covering is capable to change the shade. Thanks to it finishing has received the second name – chameleon. When using decorative paint for silk effect walls there is feeling that the surface has appearance of the tense silk cloth. Characteristic pearl gloss which is caused by presence at composition of dye of special pigmental additives is inherent in this type of finishing.
Specialists also recommend to buy nacreous paint for walls to create effect of wet silk. For this purpose mix is applied by means of the brush having rough pile or the roller. The equipment assumes forming on wall surface of chaotic stains.
Granite dye, despite the name, has no granite crumb in structure. Realistic imitation of the invoice is caused by the acrylic bubbles created from paints of different shades. This type of dye is applied on surface by means of special purpose tool – paint spray gun. As a result bubbles burst, creating beautiful texture.
Characteristic of decorative paint for walls with effect of sand
The textured paint imitating sandy surface enjoys special popularity. The composition of similar material can be miscellaneous, it depends on the company manufacturer.
Most often with effect of sand producers add particle to composition of paint:
- quartz sand;
In addition, the modern range allows to buy the nacreous and opaque paint for walls imitating the surface of sand. In the first case as a part of paint there are light-reflective particles, in the second – the covering turns out rough and velvety.
Pay attention! Nacreous dye is eco-friendly. The structure is made of acrylic resin and brilliant pigment. In dye there are nacreous grains of natural origin extracted from sea shells. Even if the wall will be exposed to strong heating, from dye in air hazardous substances will not be allocated.
Nacreous textured paint is recommended to be applied to finishing of walls in rooms which are often used for all day. The brilliant surface gives loudspeakers to interior.
In opaque dye there are no additional additives. It is better to use this type of finishing when it is required to create walls with light sandy roughness. The opaque surface changes interior, giving to its shades softness and elegance. When sunshine get on such walls, there is small dispersion of light. Thanks to it shortcomings of substrate become imperceptible.
How to apply decorative paint for walls: video overview of technology and recommendation
Work with textured paint will require certain set of tools. Before work it is worth taking care of availability:
- tanks of the suitable size (basin or bucket);
- the construction mixer (it is possible to use drill with special nozzle);
- set of paint brushes of the different size and with different rigidity of pile;
- foam rubber or natural sponge;
- set of palettes;
- paint rollers;
- governed (length of 2-3 m);
- cellophane film and protective equipment (gloves, glasses, clothes with long sleeve, kerchief or caps).
Helpful advice! To receive original coloring of walls it is possible to use the pneumatic sprayer. Having filled the tool with paint of necessary color, it is necessary to expose pressure on mark of 5 atmospheres and to install on the device nozzle, with a diameter of 0.3-0.5 cm.
Creation of decorative finishing by means of brushes, palettes and rollers for walls painting
The invoice depends not only on the dye, but also on the tool chosen for its drawing.
For these purposes rollers, palettes, brushes, combs and even make-shifts can be used:
- rigid wide brush – it is possible to apply material on wall by means of vertical, cross, horizontal, undulating and other motions;
- the comb – is applied to more expressed relief with rare pattern. It is applied as well as brush;
- the palette – rough sharp dabs is applied on surface dye with thin layer. As a result imitation of stone has to turn out. It is difficult to master this way at once, without having skills;
- the roller with foam rubber or fur sponge – is used for receiving uniform rough surface, by rolling on wall up-down. The invoice will depend on structure of sponge or kind of her fur coat;
- the figured roller – the tool has relief surface with the coming-out pattern which imprints on fresh paint. That the texture was not interrupted it is desirable to process the site of wall on all height (from floor and to ceiling);
- natural sponge, textiles or crumpled paper – for work with these devices it is necessary to use facings technology. In other words, by means of material the freshly painted surface is stamped;
- the trowel – painting turns out due to putting dye in two layers. For work with the first layer it is necessary to use the palette, and with the second – trowel. In a day after finishing will dry, the surface becomes covered with white enamel (opaque) by means of the fur roller.
There are also alternative methods of applying texture: fingers (in rubber gloves), having wound the roller with rags or rope (effect of bamboo stalks), blows of wet rag, etc.
The procedure of preliminary preparation of walls under painting
Preliminary preparation of wall under putting structural dye looks as follows:
- Floor and ceiling need to be laid film to avoid hit of splashes and dirt on surface. For fixing of material it is possible to use adhesive tape.
- The wall is checked regarding resistance to vibrations as it can cause dye fall in the future.
- The old covering is removed from wall and its surface is smoothed out.
- The plaster coat is put to exclude hollows and cracks.
- For improvement of adhesive opportunities of dye the wall becomes covered with acrylic primer. During operating time it is better to use paint roller.
Important! Color of priming structure has to match dye coloring. During operating time it is necessary to watch carefully that material was distributed evenly.
After putting primer, the wall needs to give time to dry. On it not less than 5 h leave. Duration of drying depends on the level of air humidity and indoor temperature.
Features of putting liquid decorative paint for walls in the apartment
Most often in work with liquid textured dyes the paint brush or the roller, foam rubber sponge is used, is more rare – spray (painting in one layer). It is possible to reel up rag over the roller. At first it is necessary to mix material in bank and to dunk there the tool chosen for drawing. During operating time it is necessary to adhere to one equipment that the pattern has turned out uniform and identical on all room, otherwise the result will be not esthetic.
Dye is applied from top to down thanks to what it is possible to avoid drips which spoil exterior. For drawing the first layer the roller or brush is usually used. After it dries, it is possible to use the figured or normal roller for coloring of wall and dye of other color. Use of palm or fingers instead of the tool is allowed. The unusual effect is as a result gained.
It is recommended to begin work with those zones where the room is badly lit, there will be furniture or to hang carpets. If it is not got the hand yet, on these sites possible defects will be imperceptible. The last layer of dye should be put in the direction of falling of sunshine.
Technology of walls painting by decorative paint: use of dry structure
For work with dry dye it is necessary to take capacity for cultivation and hashing of structure. The bucket spaciousness of 10-15 l will become optimal variant. After that it is necessary to open bag with dye and to fill with it half of capacity. If introduction to composition of fillers, then to bucket as envisioned is required quarter of its volume is filled. Then dye is diluted with water in that ratio which is specified by the producer on packaging.
It is necessary to mix structure carefully. Better for these purposes to use the construction mixer. Hashing of dye is carried out for 5-10 min. Not to move heavy bucket on all room, it is necessary to shift part of ready mix in other capacity. Its width has to exceed width of the palette.
If filler with particles more than 2 mm in size has been added to structure, dye needs to be applied by means of the equal palette. For work with the weight including quartz or standard sand as filler it is better to use the equal or toothed palette. The recommended width of cloves of 1-2 mm. If to use the tool with wider teeths, the pattern will turn out too rough.
Pay attention! The recommended area of covering for one approach of 1-2 m². Primary hardening of structure happens within 10-15 min., after that accurately it is already impossible to correct pattern.
Technology of drawing:
- The tool gains small amount of dye.
- Equal the structure is applied on wall by movements up-down on the area of 1 m² with spatula.
- Dye is leveled by means of the wide palette by horizontal movements.
- The palette with small teeths or other tool puts pattern.
For putting paint it is possible to use the narrow palette (5-10 cm). The wall in this case is painted by chaotic inclined planes, vertical and horizontal movements.
Ways of dressing of paint for interior finish of walls
For dressing of the walls painted by textured paint it is possible to use different technicians:
- the cliche – curve for work can be got in specialized shop or to make it with own hands. For this purpose the plastic sheet, linoleum or thick film will approach;
- star dust – contrast specks are applied with other shade on surface of the painted wall by means of the brush having rigid bristle. For this purpose it is necessary to wring out excess of paint, to unbend pile in the direction from wall and to release it;
- the contrast – combination of contrast shades looks attractively. The variation of color can be both on different walls, and on one (in the form of contrast geometrical figures, for example, of rhombuses, squares, etc.). That patterns have turned out equal, it is recommended to use painting tape;
- the made old surface – is applied on the painted wall dye of contrast shade and studied by repeated touches of brush or sponge before the structure begins to dry.
At the last stage the surface becomes covered with interior varnish which will increase expressiveness of pattern. On it techniques of putting dye do not come to an end. Everything depends on make-shifts and imagination. The main thing – to observe safety measures during operating time: to use gloves, to put on headdress and glasses to prevent hit of dye in eyes.